M. Hockey Hopes For Hot Streak

HIGHLIGHTS

By Michael R. Voloninno

As Northeastern forward Brian Cumming's overtime shot slid across the goal line last Monday, the Harvard men's hockey team lost any chance of sharing in the glory and tradition of the 47th Beanpot championship.

That's all it lost.

Beanpot games do not count in the ECAC standings, and a full slate of games remain on the schedule.

Harvard (8-10-1, 3-9-1 ECAC) will try to recover from Monday's disheartening defeat and further solidify an ECAC playoff spot tonight against Union (3-17-2, 1-10-1). During its long break for exams, the Crimson fell into a tie for the final playoff spot with Dartmouth.

The Crimson could not have picked a better opponent to rebound against. The Skating Dutchmen currently reside in the ECAC basement and have just one league win, a 5-4 victory over RPI way back on Nov. 20.

Meanwhile, Harvard has been one of the hottest teams in the league, winning six of its last seven games before the break and defeating New Brunswick 3-2 last Friday. It seeks to continue that momentum tonight.

Two players expected to lead the charge are sophomore snipers Chris Bala and Steve Moore.

The tandem has been mired in a scoring slump lately. Bala has not scored since the opening minutes against UNO on Dec. 18. Moore's last strike came Jan. 2 against Dartmouth when he registered a hat trick.

Both players had a few glorious chances to score last Monday, but couldn't find the back of the net.

Captain Craig Adams and senior Rob Millar have picked up the slack during their mini-slump. Millar truly emerged as a threat the last time Harvard met Union, a 4-3 victory for the Crimson.

Millar tallied two in the third period to put Harvard over the top and assisted on the first two goals.

If Harvard is going to make a playoff run within the next two months, it needs to present at least two dangerous lines. Tonight is a perfect opportunity for Moore and Bala to remind the league of their talent.

Because Harvard cannot win the Beanpot championship this year, it has to be wary that one disappointment does not translate into a far greater one.