University Endorses Full Disclosure Policy

By Nathaniel L. Schwartz, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

Only hours before demonstrators surrounded University Hall yesterday afternoon to protest Harvard's practice of licensing its logo to companies that allegedly use sweatshop labor, the University announced the first in what will be a series of policies aimed at resolving the issue.

Harvard publicly endorsed the policy of "full disclosure"--mandating that companies which make Harvard apparel divulge where their factories are located.

The University's actions follow in the footsteps of schools such as Georgetown, Duke and Notre Dame universities, who have made similar pledges in recent weeks.

"Any anti-sweatshop policy that we adopt must include such a requirement," a statement released by the University read.

"Failure to comply with a disclosure requirement, like failure to comply with other provisions of a code, will be taken into account as we decide whether to begin or continue relationships with licensees."

Members of the Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM) said they were cautiously optimistic about the pledge and would continue to demand greater change.

"I'm a little suspicious of the language. What the University needs to commit to is institutional student involvement," said PSLM member Benjamin L. McKean '02.

In addition to pledging full disclosure, Harvard has committed itself to the idea of hiring an independent monitor--such as a private agency or a non-governmental organization--to ensure companies' compliance with anti-sweatshop codes.

"We need to set up some sort of independent monitor and the chances are very good that this will be set up in the near future," said Allan A. Ryan, the University attorney who is handling the issue.

The University did not make any firm pledges, though, concerning a living wage for sweatshop workers.

"There is as yet no consensus on how a living wage is to be defined," the statement read.

"Harvard will work with students and others who are seeking to resolve this issue and will support efforts by others to define a living wage in these circumstances," it added.

PSLM members learned of Harvard's decision toward the end of yesterday's two hour rally. From the steps of University Hall, rally organizer Elizabeth C. Vladeck '99 read the University's statements, inspiring cheers from the demonstrators.

"I think this re-opens the possibility for us to work more closely with Harvard," said Daniel M. Hennefeld '99, a member of PSLM.

But after reading the University's pledge, another protestor, Eleanor I. Benko '02, expressed her concerns.

"It doesn't sound like they're committed to adhering to enforcement issues," she said.

Today, President Neil L. Rudenstine is scheduled to participate in a conference call with presidents of other Ivy League schools to discuss the formation of an Ivy League-wide policy on sweatshop labor.

"There is clearly widespread agreement that we ought to do something," Ryan said.

"The question is what can we do that is effective, that uses our resources to the best of our abilities and that gives us some assurance that we are making a difference to the men and women who sew T-shirts and sweatshirts," he added.

Ryan would not say when an official policy would be announced and did not say when a clearer decision about an outside monitor would be made.

"Writing the code itself is pretty simple," he said. "It's getting the details on monitoring and enforcement that's difficult."

Indeed, Ryan said he did not know how much--if any--of Harvard apparel is manufactured by sweatshop labor.

"I have not spent enough time figuring out what the [labor] market is and what the conditions are like," Ryan said.