a boston childhood

By Meredith L. Petrin

Between midterms and a capella jams, comping the Advocate and working at PBH, Harvard students have little time to be tourists. For many, knowledge about Boston revolves around where to change to the blue line en route to the airport, and few have struck out to explore the city, much less to make it their own. Whether you're a rower, a hard-core thesis writer or just someone who's staying around, take this Spring Break to acquaint yourself with the city across the Charles. To lend some direction to your wanderings, FM recommends starting at the beginning, with the sights and activities you would have first encountered had Boston been your city to begin with.

BOSTON TEA PARTY MUSEUM

We've all learned about the Boston Tea Party. It was the one thing you actually found entertaining about American history--a bunch of stuffy New England wig-wearers disguised as Indians, recklessly destroying property. This spring break, confront that repressed wish to reenact the scene. The Boston Tea Party Museum has a full-size replica of the Beaver II anchored in the exact spot the Party occurred; visitors get to throw a full bale of tea overboard themselves (this time attached to a rope) and will be rewarded with a complimentary cup of tea afterward. The museum also has multi-media displays, exhibits, documents, and costumed guides to answer your questions. Open daily 9-5. 338-1773. Congress Street Bridge. T-stop: South Station.

CASTLE ISLAND/FORT INDEPENDENCE

Betcha didn't know the oldest fortified military post in the country is right around the corner. Fort Independence has been a lookout point since 1634--Edgar Allen Poe even served army time there in 1827. Visit Castle Island Park to get in touch with some history, or join the hordes of joggers and walkers on the scenic paths. And if that fishing pole you brought with you to school is gathering just too much dust, check out Castle Island's 250-foot fishing pier. Maybe Dining Services will cook your catch. Maybe not. But it's worth a try. Open during daylight. 268-5744. T-stop: Broadway (then take the City Point bus).

USS CONSTITUTION

Not only does Boston host the country's oldest military post--it's got the world's oldest warship as well. A hundred and seventy-five feet long, with copper and brass work done by the Paul Revere, the USS Constitution is actually still under U.S. naval commission. But anyone can tour it for free, with uniformed sailors who can answer questions. They even fire off the ship's 42 guns twice a day, at 8 a.m. and sunset. Charlestown Navy Yard, Charlestown. (617) 242-5670. T-stop: Haymarket (then take the No. 92 or 93 bus to the Navy Yard).

JOHN HANCOCK OBSERVATORY

If you missed this on your freshman week field trip, definitely take time to check it out before you graduate. New England's tallest building offers 100-mile views from its famed 60th floor windows--on a good day you can see New Hampshire's White Mountains. Visitors watch multimedia re-enactments of the American Revolution and play with "Funscopes." The Observatory's got great trivia games, too. Did you know the John Hancock building has precisely 10,344 windows? John Hancock Tower, Hancock Plaza and Copley Square. Ticket office: Trinity Place and St. James Ave. 572-6429. Open M-Sa 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Su 12 p.m. to 11 p.m. $4.25. T-stop: Copley or Back Bay.

ARNOLD ARBORETUM

You know Harvard has a huge endowment and more property than you can imagine, but you probably didn't know about its tree reserve. That's right, tree reserve. Harvard, in cooperation with the Boston Department of Parks, maintains 265 acres of pure greenery for "research and education." Climbing, anyone? The arboretum, now a National Historical Landmark, is over 115 years old and hosts more than 6,000 different species; to try. Free. Open sunrise to sunset; visitor center open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (517) 524-1718. T-stop: Forest Hills or Arborway.

CHILDREN'S MUSEUM

The Hall of Toys! A two-story climbing structure! The "Science Playground!" It's all here, along with a myriad of multi-media and cultural displays. Only $1 on Friday nights. 300 Congress Street. 426-6500. Open Tuesday to Sunday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. $7.

MUSEUM OF SCIENCE

Beyond a variety of displays on astronomy, anthropology, astrophysics, medicine, computers and earth sciences lie virtual volleyball, the "Musical Steps," a chicken hatchery, a light-up "Transparent Woman" and the world's largest Van de Graaf generator, which shoots 15-foot bolts of lightening. They've also got the Mugar Omni Theater, with dome-shaped surround-screen and 84 high-decibel speakers that you might experience the sinking of the Titanic or scaling of Mt. Everest. Museum: Open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. $8. 723-2500. The Omni: 523-6664 for advance tickets, $7.50 each. T-stop: Science Station.

NEW ENGLAND AQUARIUM

This is one place you really can't spend four years in Boston without visiting. The aquarium is rightfully famous for its beautiful underwater displays, including a four-story, 187,000 gallon recreation of a coral reef and hands-on tidal pools. There are also sea lion shows on the "Discovery," a floating pavilion attached to the museum. A new harbor seal exhibit with above and below water viewing opens soon. Open M-F 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central Wharf. (973-5200) T-stop: Aquarium.

MAPPARIUM

Might be worth going to the Christian Science Center to check out the "Mapparium," a massive globe designed for looking at the world from inside. Constructed of 608 panels with a bronze frame, the Mapparium is the only structure of its kind in the entire world, and the views from its glass bridge are completely free. Christian Science Center. Mass. Ave. and Huntington Ave. 450-3790. Open M-Sa 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. T-stop: Hynes Convention Center.