Lee Fields Let's Get A Groove On Disco Records

Think nobody these days knows what "Funk" means (besides what happens after a workout)?

Think again, Lee Fields, known as "Little J.B." to his friends "throughout the global funk community," has made a valiant effort to resurrect what he considers the fallen genre of "rough, nasty and genuine" '70s funk in this album. What the album lacks in musical talent (the band and the background singer have a few problems with consistency and staying together, and Fields himself isn't exactly James Brown), it definitely makes up for in character. Funk was played to bring smiles to people's faces and motion to their feet, and Let's Get A Groove On certainly does so. With such "super heavy funk" tunes as "Let a Man Do What he Wanna Do" and "Steam Train," Fields has put together an album full of some great funk grunts, groans, squeals and moans that will, at the very least, make you smile. The album has been described as "a raw-ass piece of funky-soul served straight-up on a platter of nasty-nasty." And as Fields himself puts it, "Who needs dust/when you got soul?" Ben A. Cowan