W. Golf Fifth, M. Golf Sixth at Ivy Championships

HIGHLIGHTS

By William P. Bohlen

Golf is traditionally viewed as a preppy sport.

The Ivy League is traditionally considered preppy.

With that in mind, the men's and women's Ivy League Championships held Saturday and Sunday should have served as a bastion of preppiness.

But what surfaced at Bethpage Golf Course in Bethpage, N.Y., was a quality that is not inherently preppy--fierce competition.

Facing strong Princeton and Yale teams, and solid Brown and Dartmouth squads, the women's team was unable to stay out of the cellar finishing in fifth place out of five teams.

Ending the weekend meet with a score of 767, the Crimson were well behind Princeton and Yale, who finished one-two with scores of 653 and 655, respectively. Brown was in third at 700 strokes, followed by Dartmouth at 711.

Harvard sophomore Maureen Shannon finished with a two-day total of 177 strokes for the Crimson's lowest score and 14th place in the tournament. Her low round was an 87. Par for the course was 71.

The women's team will compete next in the Massachusetts Intercollegiate Championships on Friday.

The winner, Princeton's Julia Allison, shot a 160 for the two rounds.

The men's team didn't fare much better, finishing sixth out of eight.

The Crimson had a three-round total of 906, 19 strokes ahead of Brown and 21 strokes in front of Cornell.

Columbia, with 882 strokes, narrowly defeated Yale for the title, and Penn, Princeton and Dartmouth followed behind the top two teams.

Sophomores Matt Dost and Jack Lynch both shot 224 for the three rounds. Lynch's lowest round was the final one, when he turned in a 73. Dost's lowest round was a 74, which he tallied in the first round.

He shot a 75 in both the first and final rounds. Par for the course was 70.

The men's team will be in action on April 29 at the New England Division I Championships.