10 WHY IT DOESN'T

1 PROF TALK--REALLY!

Giant lecture classes foster disillusionment-students soon convince themselves that Harvard's big name professors are largely just big names. But Harvard professors--from the most junior faculty to the likes of Cornel West--are very open to talking with students. Faculty holds office hours at least once a week, and these hour-long sessions are an ideal time to dish with a favorite professor about class, college and life in general. Just think of a perfunctory question to ask and head on down.

2 THE MUSIC LECTURE IN AF-AM 10

Every student's notebook is admittedly filled with its share of doodles, but the very best of the best lectures are exciting and packed with visitors. Listening to professors talk about what they know best and love most is an opportunity realized here, thanks to its world-class faculty, more often than anywhere else.

3 INSPIRE ME

There are students who push aside disenchantment to try to fulfill their dreams. It's wonderful to do. It's awesome to watch.

4 SERIOUS PEOPLE WHO TAKE YOU SERIOUSLY

Whether it's the baloney that you write between 2 and 9 a.m. or your cockamamie idea about the conspiracy of the Moral Reasoning committee, people here may believe it. At the very least, they will consider your work, and you, with care and interest.

5 ICE CREAM

Cambridge is truly a Mecca. Flavors are divine and mindrocking. Textures are gooey and velvety. Toppings are endless.

6 THAT'S WHAT FRIENDS ARE FOR

Mysteriously, friends materialize from the milieu of strangers encountered daily; the best part of the adventure is figuring out the people with whom you click best. Bumming around at 3 in the morning with a friend--who also is facing the pressure to be doing something more productive--turns out to be the best time of your life. Despite all the kvetching about the Harvard social scene, few complain of a lack of fascinating people.

7 EXTRACURRICULAR EXTRAVAGANZA

Dozens and dozens of clubs, societies, associations, and the like answer every hankering. Want to be a street performer? Harvard Juggling Club. Looking to kick some ass? Harvard Kendo Club. Bothered by moochers? The Harvard Objectionist Club. Can't find what you want? Start it yourself. It seems like there are enough groups for each and every Harvardian to be a leader in something.

8 THE CHARLES ON A SATURDAY IN APRIL

The freezing cold, unforgiving precipitation and darkness at 4 p.m. are all definitely drawbacks, but somehow they all seem to fade when the weather gets nice again. There's no nicer place to sit by, run by or make out by than the Charles River. Enjoy September, October, April and May.

9 HIGH CLASS CHOICE

Courses of Instruction: 810 pages. This catalog is the Harvard student's sacred text and deserves a cover-to-cover read. Harvard offers a class that fills virtually every possible intellectual niche. After a high school spent regurgitating force-fed facts, a little freedom feels good.

10 THE "IT'LL GET DONE PHILOSOPHY"

It's 2 a.m. on a Thursday night and your 10 pager's due tomorrow. Not a word has been written. But you know what? You'll finish it by 5. And if you don't, you'll finish it for Monday, and the TF will buy your excuse. You've got four years and 32 classes to get through, but it'll get done.