The Air Up There

By Angela Lin, Contributing Writer

Cancel those summer vacation plans abroad, unless you're planning to drive your way overseas.

Ever been on a plane? You know the feeling that wells up in the pit of your stomach when you're suddenly jolted from your sleep and the passenger seat belt lights flash on. It's like the downhill part of a rollercoaster ride--only you don't know when it's going to end. The flight attendant's voice comes on to assure you that it's just turbulence, that everything is under control. You're a little shaky, but you probably go back to sleep, thinking the pilot is in control.

Well, you thought wrong.

John Cusack (Con Air, Grosse Pointe Blank) is Nick Falzone, an air traffic control freak who "pushes tin" at New York's Terminal Radar Approach Control center (TRACON). He directs planes coming into NYC airports, sings oldies when he's not rattling off instructions to airplane pilots and slurps coffee while directing planes to safe landings.

It's people like him who hold our lives in the palm of their hands-cool-headed operators that are responsible for the safety of millions everday. Adventurous people who thrive on an atmosphere of high pressure and anxiety. Stressed-out husbands who are in the midst of third marriages and never have time for their families. And high-strung workers who are only human. They, too, can let personal problems manifest themselves into rivalries on the job.

Known as "The Zone," Nick is responsible for the busiest radar scope in TRACON. He lands all of Newark airport's planes, and is capable of handling heavy air traffic for hours on end. He's quick, he's sharp, and he's good. In this world of chaos and finite airspace, Nick is the best there is.

That is, until Russell Bell enters the picture. Billy Bob Thornton (Sling Blade, A Simple Plan) plays a hard-core, motorcycle riding, nonchalant controller who's reputation precedes him. A loner from day one, Russell keeps to himself and to his job. Rumor is that he's been around, having worked in Phoenix and Denver among other places, and comes with the highest recommendations. To him, it's all just a video game. He could care less about the people in the planes; he just lines up the moving blips on his controller screen, and lands them. His lack of morale, however, doesn't matter. This is a game he never loses.

Needless to say, the Zone feels challenged. Russell's on new turf now, and he just better watch out. Nick doesn't like competition, especially in the way of seedy men who speak French. Both succumb quite naturally to a battle of the egos, a rivalry that promises to be...well, quite boring, actually.

It's a match of wits and a battle of wills that just doesn't quite climax. Despite the chaos and turmoil sparked by their competition, there's just no real feeling of emotion involved. "Cheers" producers Glen Charles and Les Charles have presented an high-concept screenplay that seems inconclusive. The plot is lacking, but it's hard to pinpoint just what exactly it's missing. It's an irreverent look at the prevention of mid-air and mid-life collisions that becomes too predictable.

A definite contrast from the character Cusack played in the Academy

Award-nominated World War II epic _The Thin Red Line_, Nick Falzone is himself unrespectable as a husband and a controller. Cate Blanchett (_Elizabeth_, _Oscar and Lucinda_) is Connie Falzone, Nick's loyal wife who lives an unsettled life. Though a minor character in terms of plot, Connie's seeming devotion is unconvincing (one can only hope Cate accepted this role before filming the remarkable _Elizabeth_).

Russell's wife, Mary Bell, is played by Angelina Jolie (George Wallace, Gia). Mary seems to be a transformation of Angelina's former role in _Hackers_, only instead of computer viruses, she has a penchant for vodka. An uncanny, scantily-clad, lusty young woman, Mary has a seductive quality that is all too familiar, quite irritating as well.

_NewsRadio_ fans who've always hoped to watch the show's secretary Vicki Lewis flex her muscles (while competing in a women's bodybuilding competition) will at least find someone to cheer for. However, If you ever plan to fly again, skip the theatres this weekend - go harass a pre-frosh, and wait for Star Wars: Episode I to come out.