Students' Race Relations Work Honored at Dinner

Over 30 students, faculty receive foundation awards

By Victoria C. Hallett, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

To kick off the Harvard Foundation for Intercultural and Race Relations' 13th Annual David Aloian Dinner last night, the Radcliffe Pitches sang, "This Could Be the Start of Something."

And then the foundation set to work celebrating the intercultural and race relations work of students and faculty in the Quincy House Dining Hall.

The foundation awarded plaques to 18 students and recognized 15 others for their involvement in campus events, including Cultural Rhythms, the Caribbean Club and Kuumba. The foundation also gave Monica E. Eav '99 the Director's Award, a large medal, for her work behind the scenes at the foundation.

In addition to the student awards, the foundation also presented its Faculty/Administrator Award to Senior Preceptor of Mathematics Robin Gottlieb and Adams House Co-Masters Jana M. and Robert J. Kiely '60.

An award recipient, Kuumba President Shannon T. Hodge '00 said her organization had striven to achieve the goals of the foundation.

"This year and past years we've made an effort to share with the Harvard community through events and concerts," she said.

Foundation Director S. Allen Counter, who has been with the Foundation since its inception in 1981, said the dinner is their chance to recognize students' outstanding achievements.

He also made special note of Shin Lin '99, who put on a conference for Chinese Americans, and Macarena M. Correa '00, for her work in Harvard's Latino community.

Correa said she was excited to receive the award.

"It's nice to see that your work gets noticed," she said.

Daniel B. Baer '00, who was recognized last night for his work as a mentor, said he was proud to be there last night. He said he thinks the event unites the Harvard community.

"One of the reasons this particular award is important is that there are so many organizations on campus and this one night brings them all together," he said.

Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III said heattends the event every year in support of itsmission and he continues to be impressed by itswork.

"Because it's the event that honors students,you get a real sense of the practical work ofstudents," Epps said.

Counter said students are nominated for theawards by their House masters. Then a committee ofstudents and Faculty review the nominees. Studentsmust exhibit an extraordinary commitment tointercultural and race relations beyond that ofother students, Counter said.

"We could never recognize everybody [who havemade contributions] in one day," he said.

Before Counter handed out the awards, SeniorAdmissions Officer David L. Evans, a member of thefoundation's faculty advisory board, spoke on thehistory and current state of intercultural andracial relations at the University. When he cameto a racially unaware Harvard in 1969, Evans said,"one faculty member thought black Muslim was aform of fabric."

He added that although the situation hasimproved, easing race relations is never a smoothpath. He urged the audience to think about theRwandan conflict between the Hutu and Tutsi ethnicgroups.

But he said it is vital that the foundationcontinues to work toward a more diverse and awarecommunity.

"There's trouble in our land," Evans said. "Weneed effort. We need it badly. And we need Harvardto be involved in it."

Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 praisedthe winners.

"I want to say how proud I think we should beof the community we have created here," he said."We are extremely proud of you and your work."

Winners of the Foundation Awards were Hodge,Correa, Lin, Mohamad M. Al-Ississ '99, Dana B.Bennett '99, Sergio Castellon '00, Brian J. Daigle'99, Lee A. Dalope '99, Lizzeth Henao '99, BrianG. Howard '00, Edidiong N. Ikpe '99, La Tanya N.James '99, Chaundra C. King '99, Nancy G. Lin '99,Arif N. Nathoo '99, Jeloni M. Shabazz '00, CharisaA. Smith '00 and Anita K. Wong '99.

The Foundation's Recognition Recipients wereBaer, Andrew Amo '01, Adam P. Bailey '01, Keith E.Bernard '99, Jennifer R. Darrah '01, Kenneth N.Ebie '01, Omolara O. Fatiregun '00, Joyce I.Imahiyerobo '01, Marlene M. Losier '01, Kiisha J.Morrow '99, James L. Mwangi '00, Joelle G. Novey'01, Niki V. Santo '00, Nina S. Sawyer '01 andSerre-Yu Wong '01.

The Aloian Dinner is held annually in memory ofthe Harvard Alumni Association Executive Directorand Quincy House Master David Aloian who died in1986. He helped the foundation by hosting numerousevents in Quincy House