M. Lax Blows Lead, Loses To Dartmouth

By Meredith M. Bagley, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

It was deja vu all over again.

Despite a strong start and a commanding 7-1 lead at the half, the Harvard men's lacrosse team (3-10, 1-5 Ivy) closed out their season Saturday with a 10-9 loss to Dartmouth (5-8, 2-4 Ivy) at Chase Field.

Youth and lack of depth, all-too familiar obstacles for the Crimson this season, once again played a pivotal role in the loss. HARVARD  9

"The result of this game reflects the entire season," Harvard Coach Scott Anderson said.

Harvard dominated the first half, scoring seven unanswered goals, but were shut down in the second half as Dartmouth rallied for the win.

Junior Geoff Watson led the day for the Crimson with three goals and an assist, while junior Lawson DeVries tallied two goals and two assists and sophomore Dana Sprong contributed two goals.

"We need to learn to close games out," DeVries said. "We got comfortable at 7-1 and let them come back."

A balanced Harvard attack featured six different scorers in the first half, including a three-goal outburst in less than a minute in the second quarter.

"We came out strong and composed in the first half," sophomore Roger Buttles said. "We focused on team offense, and it worked really well."

"The first half was our best offense all year," Anderson said. "We had great ball movement and possession and solid defense as well."

The second half appeared to start off on in the Crimson's favor when DeVries recorded his second goal of the day three minutes in. However, the tide soon began to turn. Dartmouth scored the next four goals, including one in an extra-man opportunity.

Watson's third goal 47 seconds before the end of the third quarter appeared to stem the momentum shift, but the Big Green kept rolling.

Dartmouth reeled off five unanswered goals in the final frame to steal the win. Sophomore Schuyler Minert's second goal of the game put Dartmouth up 10-9, giving the Big Green its first lead of the game with 5:23 remaining.

Junior goalkeeper Keith Cynar recorded 12 saves in a losing effort.

"In the second half we got away from our game plan," Buttles said. "We were more focused individually, and we just blew the lead."

"The problem in the second half was two-fold," Anderson said. "We got fatigued, partly due to our lack of depth, and we lacked the confidence that we could win the game."

The loss was the seventh straight for the Crimson, and one of many in which the team squandered a first-half lead.

"We're a young team, and we don't always know how to win," Buttles said. "It's been difficult for us to put teams away."

"We are young, but we can't use that as an excuse," Anderson said. "This season we began to doubt our ability to hang onto a win, and that attitude is self-destructive."

Despite its youth and lack of depth, the Crimson remains upbeat for next year.

"I've go to give this team credit," Anderson said. "They've been excited for every game, and that can be hard to do. We gained a lot of experience this year, and that will make us better."

"We're in a unique position," Buttles said. "We only lose one player and we know we have the talent to have a great season next year."

Captain Ethan Oberman played his last collegiate contest Saturday. Oberman, a solid defensive presence for the Crimson all season, was the only senior on this year's squad.

"Ethan has been an excellent captain," Sprong said. "He's played through nagging injuries and has always been there for us."

"He was put in a difficult role as the only senior," Buttles said. "I really admire the job he did, and we'll miss him a lot."

DeVries agreed with Buttles in assessing the team's prospects without Oberman.

"The potential is there, no doubt," DeVries said. "As individuals and as a team we need to improve, but the pieces are there."