B.U. Routs W. Tennis

By Meredith M. Bagley, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

After an emotional win Wednesday over Dartmouth to clinch its second consecutive Ivy League title, the Harvard women's tennis team (11-11, 6-0 Ivy) felt the heat Saturday afternoon, losing to cross-town rival Boston University (15-9), 5-1, at the Case Center courts.

"We put so much energy, intensity, and effort into the Ivy season, and this was a big letdown," Harvard Coach Gordon Graham said.

B.U. clinched the victory after the singles round, and coaches and officials chose to cancel doubles play.

Freshman Andrea Magyera posted the lone Crimson victory on the day. Magyera lasted through a sweltering three-set match to beat B.U. captain Jennifer Momii 6-4, 5-7, 6-4.

"I wasn't playing my best tennis," Magyera said. "I just tried to battle through."

The Terriers, who won their fifth consecutive America East league title last weekend, rode a six-match winning streak into the day. B.U. carried that momentum throughout the line-up.

"B.U. is a very good team, and they showed it," Graham said. "They were fired up and just played better."

At the No. 1 slot, junior Vedica Jain lost in straight sets to B.U. junior Selin Nassi, 6-2, 6-2. Nassi has been dominant all season for the Terriers and was recently named the America East Most Outstanding Player for 1999.

No. 3 seed Sanaz Ghazal also fell quickly, losing 6-1, 6-2 to B.U.'s Christina Causeway. Freshman Fleur Broughton, in the No. 4 slot, led for much of the first set but eventually succumbed to B.U.'s Carrie Rose, 7-5, 6-4.

The bottom of the Crimson lineup fared no better as the No. 5 and No. 6 players also lost in straight sets.

The dominant performance against Dartmouth appeared to take a toll on the Harvard squad.

"We were so pumped for the whole Ivy season, and we've given everything we've got for each match," Broughton said. "We're exhausted."

"We just didn't have the energy," Magyera said. "B.U. came out strong and ready to win."

The heat of Saturday's match could have been a factor in the loss, because the Crimson is used to playing in the indoor Murr Center.

"The heat was a bit of a factor," Graham said. "We've only had one outdoor practice in April, and BU has more experience with it."

"There's a lot of things you could say," Magyera said. "But the heat isn't an excuse. We just needed to be more geared up."

Despite the physical and emotional strain of the spring season, the players said they remain upbeat about the upcoming NCAA regional. Tournament bids will be announced Wednesday.

"We'll probably get a No. 4 seed and will have to play a No. 1," Graham said. "But by then, we'll be ready and excited. The intensity will be back."

"Our focus has been to win Ivies and get to the NCAA's, and that's where we're heading," Magyera said. "This loss won't hurt us, and it may possibly help us. We need to be ready every day, and be on top of every point."

A win over regional rival B.U. might have helped Harvard's seed in the national picture, but it's hard to tell.

"We'll get a tough draw no matter what," Broughton said.

With two weeks off until regional, the Crimson will rest and try to recover from regular season injuries.

Most importantly, captain and No. 1 player Ivy Wang, who has missed much of this season with a shoulder injury, may be able to return for the NCAA round.

"We're hopeful, I've got my fingers crossed," Graham said. "But it's her call, it's her body. We know she's doing all she can to get back." HARVARD  1 BOSTON U.  5