City Council Approves Living Wage Ordinance

By Christopher R. Blazejewski, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Cambridge City Council unanimously passed the Living Wage Ordinance last night, a new amendment to the municipal code that requires city employers to pay its workers a minimum of $10 per hour. The council has deemed the $10 sum necessary to maintain a reasonable standard of living in Cambridge.

"It is a proud moment for the city of Cambridge," said Councillor Henrietta Davis, after the adoption of the ordinance received a standing ovation from the more than 50 citizens present at the meeting.

Cambridge residents in support of the ordinance spilled into the hallway outside Sullivan Chamber last night. Observers included representatives from the local Living Wage Campaign and the city chapter of the Carpenters' Union.

Judy E. Somberg, who has worked on the local Living Wage Campaign, said she will serve on a new community advisory board to monitor the implementation of the ordinance, which begins in 60 days.

The amendment has no effect on Harvard--but Harvard's labor force, which includes many sub-contracted employees, were a concern for the councillors last night as well. Cambridge's stance on the living wage, city officials said, should be a model for other institutions with large payrolls.

"We have two major employers in this city who need to comply with this order," said Vice Mayor Anthony D. Galluccio. "Harvard and MIT still have not adhered to compassionate employer policies."

A little more than a month ago, the council adopted an order urging Harvard to comply voluntarily to provide its employees with a living wage of at least $10 per hour.

Despite the efforts of the Living Wage Campaign at Harvard, formed in January as an outgrowth of the Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM), University officials have yet to reach a compromise with student activists or the council. PSLM members said the city's latest move should prompt Harvard to follow suit.

"Although the ordinance does not affect Harvard directly, it establishes a community standard for a fair and just wage. Harvard has an opportunity to be at the labor forefront as a private institution that cares about the living standards of its workers," said Daniel R. Morgan '99, a member of Harvard's Living Wage Campaign.

Galluccio said the council will continue to pressure the University to adopt a living wage.

Every councillor spoke enthusiastically infavor of the proposal last night, citing thefairness and forward-minded nature of an enforcedliving wage.

The only qualms over the ordinance derived froman exemption clause, which allows non-profitorganizations with limited funds to apply for a"hardship waiver."

Councillor Sheila T. Russell expressed marginalreservations over the waiver application process,which requires non-profits to reapply every fouryears.

But even while cautioning that renewablewaivers mean increased bureaucracy, Ruassellvoiced unequivocable support for a policy shedeemed long overdue.

In other business, the council unanimouslyadopted a late order supporting the Harvardsecurity guard union in its labor dispute withHarvard.

The council also unanimously commended EvaMoseley for her work as manuscripts curator atRadcliffe's Schlesinger Library.

Moseley, who won the Distinguished ServiceAward from the New England Archivists in 1995,will deliver the Rothschild Lecture at theCronkite Graduate Center at Radcliffe on Wednesdayat 4 p.m. on the occasion of her retirement