ABRW Elects Former V.P. Pinto, Eight Others to New Board

HARVARD BRIEFS

By Melissa K. Crocker

The females of the Association of Black Radcliffe Women (ABRW) cast their votes Monday evening for the new board members of the organization.

Giselle J. Pinto '00 was elected president, and Patrice A. Tully '00 was elected vice president.

Pinto said the incoming board is very enthusiastic.

"This is a really excited board and we look forward to the support of black females on campus and the campus at large," she said.

Edidiong N. Ikpe '99, the outgoing president, said all of the candidates' speeches emphasized a continued effort to increase traditions among the group.

She said the past year's board had very few people, but they were all very involved and enthusiastic.

Pinto said the organization's goal is to create a sisterhood for black females.

"It's suppose to be like a family," she said.

Pinto, who served as vice president this past year, said she is interested in "reviving the organization and increasing membership." She said she would also like to focus on educational aspects, seminars, speakers and community service.

Next year the ABRW board also faces a debate over a possible change in the organization's name due to the recent merger of Harvard and Radcliffe.

Ikpe said the group would likely add Harvard to its name because members of the outside community often did not realize that ABRW was affiliated with Harvard.

However, both Ikpe and Pinto expressed interest in keeping Radcliffe in the official name as well.

"I think Radcliffe is definitely part of our heritage," Pinto said.

ABRW also elected Bianca R. Gwinn '02 secretary; Jessica M. Reid '00 treasurer; Janelle A. James '00 as social chair; Jennifer K. Sunami '02 publicity chair; Danice L. Woodley '00 community service chair; Monique S. Cofer '01 the group's representative to the Harvard Foundation; and Adwoa M. Hurley '00 and Fana G. Houston '00 historians.