New HSBSE President Hopes to Create Group Career Fair

By Melissa K. Crocker

This weekend Jason E. Williams '01 was elected president of the Harvard Society of Black Scientists and Engineers (HSBSE), replacing Oni J. Blackstock '99, the outgoing head.

Williams said he is excited about his upcoming term, which will officially begin in September.

"I am...eager to start some new things so we can get more people involved and have a bigger impact on students here," Williams said.

The purpose of HSBSE is "to provide black science concentrators and pre-med students with a network of students with similar interests," and to make them aware of possible internships, according to Blackstock.

Williams said he plans to continue HSBSE's efforts to set up mentoring relationships between older and younger undergraduates, to create table tents for dining halls during Black History Month and to foster relationships with national organizations.

He said he would personally like to create the group's own career fair and to stay involved in other campus organizations.

"There seems like there's a lot of apathy on this campus in general," Williams said. "I want to see more people get involved."

Blackstock said she expected the new board would be able to gain new membership and increase the group's presence on campus.

"The new leadership will probably take the organization in a different direction," Blackstock said. "We did a pretty decent job this year....they have the energy, drive and motivation to make some changes for the better."

Other board members elected on Saturday were Richard O. Phillips '01 as vice president, Alicia V. Lee '02 as treasurer and Sophia A. Hussen '00 as secretary.

Williams said he thought the younger ages of the new board members would work to their advantage.

"Hopefully this will give us a chance to grow," he said.