CUP SIZE

By E. F. Oster

EVERYONE BUT THE WORST FASHION victim knows the rule: bra straps: stay below the shirt, undercover. But bandeau-style strapless bras create an unacceptable uni-boob shelf. And with the advent of the strappy tank, bra straps have forced their way into the mainstream. On shoulders--and headbands.

Urban Outfitters appears to be at the forefront of the "bra-strap headband" movement. Theirs are available at the "accessories" shelf in the women's section and come in two styles. First is the traditional bra strap sewn together at the ends, and the second consists of two smaller multicolored straps that link in the back. The visual effect is difficult to describe-think flower child meets urban grunge. The headbands cost $8, and the woman working in the store, who was not wearing one, said they seemed to be selling very quickly.

Across the street, GapKids has its own take on this trend. In this case, the effect is predominantly flower child. The headbands are not made from actual bra straps. Instead, they are skinny, tubular strips of stretchy material. They come in all the primary colors, with white stripes. These only cost $4.50.

But for the penny-pinching fashonistas, bra-strap headbands can be fashioned out of a retired brassiere and a tenacious staple.