ARTS FIRST

We all face choices in our lives. It's just a matter of picking the right ones. Experience an amazing dance performance, or write that final paper you've been putting off forever. See some ground-breaking theater, or watch Austin Powers for the 60th time. Listen to phenomenal music, or suffer through your roommate's whining about unfinished work. This weekend, instead of falling into your usual rut, check performance times, buy tickets and convince your friends to join you in some fun. Celebrate the end of classes in style with one of the greatest exhibitions of talent you'll ever experience--Arts First.

Orginally conceived by Third Rock from the Sun star John Lithgow '57 as an arts dinner to be held in honor of undergraduate students and faculty, the celebration has evolved into a four-day arts festival whose purpose is to galvanize the arts community at Harvard. A grand production that stems from the dedicated efforts of over 2000 people, Arts First is the realized dream of a shared vision for the arts--both on campus and off. Producer Myra A. Mayman views "the power of the arts as bringing people together" and allowing them to "take risks and think creatively." She values the festival not only for embodying these aspects of art, but also for creating a common thread that links the Harvard community together in important ways.

What makes this year's celebration unique is that, by participating in the festivities, we will be simultaneously commemorating the 25th Anniversary of the Office for the Arts. In honor of this anniversary, there will be spotlight works of Harvard/Radcliffe alums presented throughout the weekend. Now-successful dancers, choregraphers and directors were invited back on campus earlier in the year to work with students. This weekend, their collaborative efforts will be showcased in gallery exhibits, in dance performances such as Choreographers' Ink's annual spring concert, and in theater productions such as King Kong, The Musical, Part I: Lohengrin. The incredible combination of students and alums is apparent in the emotions expressed by King Kong director Diane Paulus '88, who finds it exciting that, "after leaving Harvard and committing my life to theater, I was able to come back and share my passion with such open, talented and creative people."

Indeed, everyone can share in her joy. Experience the diversity of student talent in events taking place throughout the weekend. Drop by the outdoor stage at Holyoke Center to check out back-to-back performances including everything from a cappella to student rock bands. Check out Richard III on the Loeb Mainstage. Don't miss HRO as it joins the Collegium Musicum, the Glee Club, and the Radcliffe Choral Society in Verdi's Requiem. On Saturday, watch John Lithgow lead a parade down Mass. Ave., grab lunch at a Mexican Picnic outside the Science Center and spend the rest of the afternoon wandering around campus during the Performance Fair. Sample the performers you've always meant to see, whether they're madrigals, Thai dancers, a barbershop quartet, the '02 Steppers, baton twirlers, or a one-man rock band. At night, choose among shows ranging from improv comedy to the Kuumba Singers' 29th Annual Spring Concert. The excitement continues into Sunday, until evening events mark the culmination of a festive weekend that promises to