Concert Review: Pat McGee: Hot and Sticky

By By SARAH D. redmond, Contributing Writer

Well, that's what Pat joked he wanted for the title, and after such an uplifting, euphoric concert, how could I refuse this man's even slightest whim?

Over a week has passed, and the spirit of last Wednesday is still ringing with me.

The Richmond-based Pat McGee Band (PMB) started out playing local clubs and college frats in March '96 but has since grown increasingly well-known along the Atlantic coast for their vitality and artistry. "We have probably had 90 shows this tour," Pat explained before his concert a week ago Wednesday at the Paradise.

Often likened to his Virginia predecessor Dave Matthews, Pat comments, "I'd say [ours is more] acoustic rock. It's vocal based, but . . . we also make [our percussionist] more than just a background person."

Subtly reviving the classic sounds of Crosby, Stills and Nash and the Eagles, PMB still forges ahead with the momentum of modern rock, combining a soft ease with a pumping energy. With the magical bongo fervor of Chardy McEwan; the rich, warm harmonies of background singers Jonathan Williams (pianist) and Al Walsh (guitarist); the driving energy of bassist John Small and drummer Chris Williams; and the lyric presence and passion of guitarist and lead singer Pat McGee, every show is guaranteed a great one.

And as Pat himself commented during last week's concert, "Not a bad little time for a Wednesday night."

With the introduction of Mike Ghegan, sax player for opening band Fighting Gravity, in "All Around Us," the night began to soar with masterful jazz licks and playful exchanges between instruments. The band and guest jammed intensely through several numbers. After hearing a "Girl from Athens," I swore they couldn't get any better. Of course, I was wrong.

When Pat strummed the chilled first chord of his beloved ballad "Haven't Seen for a While," a collective sigh filled the club. Accompanied only by Ghegan's tenor sax, Pat reminded us once again of his solo acoustic artistry. Pulses of veteran audience members raced as, just as hoped, Walsh and Williams strolled casually on stage. "It's 5:15," they suddenly chimed; their rich, warm, blood-rushing harmonies melted the room. Magic, pure magic. The moment was crystallized.

But as if Pat had not yet liquefied our hearts, he then covered Peter Gabriel's "In Your Eyes," again with just his acoustic guitar and Ghegan's sax. Not overly talkative at the mic, Pat maintained a continual dialogue with his audiences through his music and his presence.

Spontaneously between numbers. band members broke out into a "how to make any song country" lesson. Countryfying various tunes like "We Ain't Gonna Take It," "Billy Jean" and "Whiter Shade of Pale," Pat laughed, "This is the kind of [stuff] we listen to on the bus."

This impromptu, folk-adapted medley perfectly echoed the mood of the entire evening. While PMB is known for its lyric eloquence, rousing percussion and stirring vocal and instrumental musicality, what struck me most was the band's relaxed, simple character and natural, inviting charisma.

Talking with band memebers before the concert, I felt the sincere camaraderie these musicians hold with their audiences, and folks in general. Perhaps it's because their Warner Bros. label has not yet been signed, but these guys are always willing to talk to their fans--about Crispix, mothers, home or anything. Devoted to their art and to their audiences, the Pat McGee Band is in the business for one reason: it's their love.

It's all about the passion.