Stewart Takes Personal Politics to Television

By Joshua H. Simon, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Former Undergraduate Council President Beth A. Stewart '00 took her political opinions to the national air-waves last Thursday, appearing as a guest on ABC television's late-night talk show "Politically Incorrect," hosted by comedian Bill Maher.

The show, which is completing its third season on ABC and averages 1.66 million viewers, appears five nights, a week and features a variety of celebrities and politicians discussing current events.

Stewart, who debated topics from gun control to next year's presidential election on the episode along with author Erica Jong, NYPD Blue co-star Andrea Thompson and comedian Rob Schneider, said she has been a long time fan of Politically Incorrect.

"I was originally attracted to the show because I sometimes think people take politics too seriously." Stewart said. "I liked the idea of having an informal discussion about politics where every-one is laughing."

According to Stewart, she landed a spot on the show after first sending a "ridiculous" joke fax to its producers last year. Stewart also says the show heard of her as a result of her student leaders sponsored by the Young America's Foundation--an outreach organization with the goal of introducing American youth to the principles of the Conservative Movement.

"She reached out to us," said Dawn Defalco the segment producer who booked Stewart.

According to Defalco, getting a place on Politically Incorrect by contacting the show directly is usually a long shot.

"There are just two spots or one spot where we could utilize someone who is not recognizable, so to speak, so that's difficult for us and we can't respond to everyone, "Defalco said.

Defalco was interested is doing a show on the rise in campus conservatism and thought Stewart's letter made her stand out as someone with "very strongopinions."

Stewart, who was flown first class to LosAngeles, put up in a hotel suite and paid toappear, was prepared to talk about campusconservatism and the "disconnect between older andyounger feminists."

However, after events in Congress that day, thetopics of the show were changed to gun control anddisplaying the ten Commandments in classrooms--twoissues on which Stewart does not consider herselfparticularly conservative.

According to Stewart, the only conservative booked on the show, the producers encouraged her to "find points of contention" and "play devil's advocate."

As a result, Stewart characterized the tapingof show as a "painful and miserable experience."

I went home and called everyone I knew and toldthem not to watch the show," she said.

After viewing the episode, Stewart said shebelieved that her appearance was much better thanshe had originally thought.

Current Council President Noah Z. Seton '00believes that Stewart did very well, despite thelast-minute change of agenda.

"She went on a very difficult show for aconservative to go on. The format of PoliticallyIncorrect is to have two liberals, oneconservative and a comedian whose job is to makefun of the conservative," Seton said.

She did outstanding, I was very happy and proudfor her," he added.

In retrospect, Stewart said she was pleasedwith her appearance.

"No question, it was a positive experience.They spent ridiculous amounts of money just tohear my worthless opinion," she sai