Yard Dig Reveals Taste of 18th Century

By Sarah E. Henrickson, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

After watching the meticulous care being taken with the Yard in preparation for Commencement, the idea that it once was a glorified animal yard is a little surprising.

But that is exactly what Lecturer on Anthropology John P. Gerry and his students in Anthropology 108, "Historical Archaeology," have determined, after spending the past two months studying the remnants of daily life at Harvard in the 18th century by excavating a site behind Wadsworth House.

Since mid-April, the 11-person class has excavated during each of its weekly meetings. Its final day of excavations was Saturday.

Gerry's class has found many artifacts of 18th century life, including pipe stems, wine bottle shards, broken ceramics, nails and animal bones.

According to Gerry, the Yard, 300 years ago, was a utility lot covered in privies, animal pens, water pumps and even a brew house between Matthews Hall and Straus Hall.

"In the 18th century the most common method of trash disposal was to open the door or window, especially the back door or window," Gerry said.

The class excavation became possible because Wadsworth will be renovated later this summer to make room for handicapped accessible restroom facilities.

Wadsworth, originally home to the University's president, is now the location of the Alumni Office, the Office of the Director of the University Library and the University Marshal's Office.

Since much of Harvard's official history was lost in a fire in 1764, archaeological excavations are an important method of uncovering the College's history, Gerry said.

"There are records of official life, but everyday details aren't recorded," Gerry said. "That's what we find in the ground."

Gerry said the animal bones in part reflect the long-running student opinion of dorm food. Unwilling to eat food provided by the College, some students cooked for themselves and kept animals in the Yard as their private stock.

While he was pleased with the results from the president's former home-which served as George Washington's headquarters for two weeks in 1775-Gerry said "compared to backyards of student residences, this is nothing."

Outside the original Stoughton Hall, he said archaeologists found thousands of rum bottles.

In 1810, as he was beginning his presidency, President John T. Kirkland declared the Yard an "unkempt sheep commons" and began the process of beautifying Harvard.

According to Gerry, "the College turned its face inward." The Yard became a point of pride and began its transformation into a tourist attraction.

Gerry said his class syllabus was planned before he knew of the renovations but that he was excited when he learned of the prospect.

"My reaction was 'Fantastic!'" Gerry said. "Students get to work, and it's a lot of fun to have class outside."

Gerry said the Yard is a "great training ground," especially for undergraduates.

This dig is the latest in a long series of excavations in and around the Yard. New MBTA tunnels in 1979 led to excavations on the gate side of Wadsworth, according to Gerry, who is also the senior tutor in Quincy House.

The first Harvard dorm, "Old Harvard," was located in front of Grays Hall and in use from 1638-1695. It was excavated extensively in the late 1980s. Finally, waterline excavations in 1992 had archaeologists trailing after the backhoe, studying remains that were uncovered on the western side of the Yard.

Though his class's excavations have concluded, Gerry said the site will not be filled and that he encourages alumni and students to visit it.