Dukakis Speaks at IOP Program

By Jonelle M. Lonergan, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Although he made light of his own presidential bid, former Massachusetts Governor Michael Dukakis urged students to go into politics last night before a packed Starr Auditorium at the Kennedy School.

Dukakis, who recently became vice-chair of the Amtrak board, began by waxing rhapsodic about the rails and Boston's public transportation system.

"You are blessed with the best transit in the country and the lowest fares," he said. "So use the T."

The former governor played the audience like a stand-up comedian, cracking many jokes about his failed presidential run.

"The thing I remember most was a Saturday Night Live skit," Dukakis said at the event, which was part of the Institute of Politics' Summer-in-Boston program. "They had [Dana] Carvey doing this fabulous impression of Bush, and they pan to Jon Lovitz--playing me--and he says 'How could I be losing to this guy?'"

And when an audience member asked Dukakis if he would consider another run, he deadpanned, "Not if I want to stay married."

But Dukakis said his political life has been a satisfying experience despite the pitfalls.

"My passion in life is for public service. It always has been," he said. "I'm sorry I'm not starting all over again."

"There is nothing more fulfilling than being in a position where you can really make a difference in the lives of your fellow citizens," he added.

And just as Governor A. Paul Cellucci did in his Summer-in-Boston speech last week, Dukakis encouraged the audience to consider going into politics.

"This is a great time to think really seriously about going into public service, in my opinion," he said. "I hope a lot of you will think seriously about elected office."

He credited higher standards and a field open to all kinds of candidates as creating a good environment for public servants.

"The quality and caliber of people in politics is light years better than it was 30 years ago," he said.

"You don't have to be a famous name. You don't have to be born into wealth," he added. "That's one of the great things about government here, in my judgement."

Dukakis also encouraged students to participate in state and local government, calling it more enjoyable than national politics.

"I love being in a position where I can really make a difference and see it," he said.

And Dukakis said prospective candidates shouldn't be concerned about media scrutiny unless they are aiming for the highest levels.

"Don't worry about intrusiveness in the public life," he said. "If you're not President, it won't be a problem."

When the floor was opened to questions, Dukakis responded to a query about the impact of recent events on the Clintons' political career.

"He was the ablest person I've ever worked with in politics," Dukakis said of the President. "But he has a problem."

Dukakis also tackled questions on campaign finance and his own run for the White House. He said he ran on the national level the same using the same techniques he did locally, by reaching out to individuals.

"I had a chance to connect in backyards, in living rooms," he said, recalling fundraisers at "barbecues and bean suppers."

"Once these folks had contributed and were committed, they'd kill for you," he said of his supporters.

"Raise your money the right way and benefit from that," he said.