Professor Named to Council of Economic Advisers

By Maria S. Shim, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Nearly a month after a Harvard economics professor was confirmed as Secretary of the Treasury, the Senate confirmed another Harvard economist, Kennedy School Professor Robert Z. Lawrence, to the Council of Economic Advisers on August 5.

On April 1, President Bill Clinton nominated Lawrence--who is Williams Professor of International Trade and Investment--to the three-person council, which advises Clinton on economic policy. Lawrence replaces another Kennedy School professor, Harpel Professor of Capital Formation and Economic Growth Jeffrey A. Frankel, on the council.

According to Frankel, his successor has been developing proposals to assist workers who have lost their jobs because of trade policies.

And Frankel said that while the council may not focus on trade policy next year, Lawrence's skills will serve him well no matter what issues are raised.

"He's got a more hands-on feel for the American economy than do most economists," Frankel said.

At Harvard, Lawrence's research focused on international economics and trade policy, particularly in the Middle East.

Colleagues at the Kennedy School praised Lawrence--who has been on leave for the past year--as an economist and a teacher.

"Professor Lawrence is an economist with an exceptionally good nose for policy and for empirical analysis," Hariri Professor of International Political Economy Dani Rodrik wrote in an e-mail message. "He combines good judgment with an open mind."

"He will be tremendously important to the Administration, especially as the new round of world trade talks get under later