SSP Students Handle Restrictions, Discipline

Strict conduct regulations govern high school program

By Jonelle M. Lonergan, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Some students see a summer on a college campus as a ticket to freedom. But students in Harvard Summer School's Secondary School Program (SSP) have found that college officials can be just as strict as Mom and Dad.

A rash of disciplinary cases brought this summer, some resulting in expulsions, have SSP students re-reading their student handbooks and staying on the straight and narrow, according to some proctors.

But program staff say strict rules and stiff consequences for the students, most of whom are still in high school and are under 21, are necessary to keep students out of serious trouble.

"I had forgotten that I wasn't as mature at that age," said Kate B. Clancy '01, a proctor in Canaday Hall. "Some of them think rules are there just to be broken."

Truth or Consequences

The conduct rules for SSP students are considerably tighter than those for the rest of the summer school. Students are not allowed to visit upperclass Houses or to leave the campus overnight. Just attending a party where alcohol is being served also carries stiff consequences.

This summer, SSP staff members report that several students have been disciplined for a range of infractions, including sleeping in other student's dorm rooms and making excessive noise.

According to SSP proctors, at least two students have been expelled for having alcohol in their dorm room, and several have been given strict curfews or been placed on probation.

Program staff say most behavioral complaints are handled by proctors. According to the student handbook, matters "not easily resolved" should be reported to an assistant dean.

"It's the proctor's decision to take it to an assistant dean if there's a problem," says Wigglesworth proctor Debbie G. Leung '00.

But if the problem involves alcohol or drugs, the proctors have no choice but to formally report the student.

"If you see somebody even with an unopened can of beer, you have to report them," Clancy says.

If a student is caught breaking one of the stricter rules, Clancy says, the proctor will take the student's identification card and leave it at the SSP program's office with a note. Students usually meet with their respective assistant deans the next morning.

One-Way Ticket

SSP staff say the rules prohibiting drinking and drug use are strictly enforced, and that breaking the rules usually leads to expulsion.

According to the student handbook, serious disciplinary cases are first referred to the Dean's Council, which consists of Summer School Dean Peter Buck, Dean of Students Christopher Queen, Director of the SSP Elizabeth Chapman Hewitt and the SSP's assistant deans.

The strictest punishment the Dean's

Council can hand down is expulsion from Harvard Ohousing. To remove a student from the summer school, the case is referred to an Administrative Board similar to the one for undergraduates.

SSP Assistant Dean Keith R. Moon says if students have drugs or alcohol in their possession, they are sent home with virtually no exceptions.

"Almost in every case where a student has been found using drugs or alcohol, that student has been expelled," Moon says.

Parents of an expelled student are usually notified, and in some cases the Dean of Students will notify an SSP student's high school or the college in which the student intends to enroll of the disciplinary problem. If an expelled SSP student has been admitted to Harvard, the student's application may be reviewed and in rare circumstances, the offer of admission may be revoked.

Common Knowledge

Students and staff both say everyone in SSP is well aware of the rules about alcohol and drugs--and the consequences of breaking them.

"[Expulsions] happen every year and the students know if they drink this will happen," Clancy says.

"It's ground into them at the beginning of the summer," she adds.

"Drinking and drugs is the one thing they'll come down on you for," says SSP student David J. Quinlan. "We can respect that one rule."

Still, some say the "one strike, you're out" system is too harsh.

"Because those rules are so strict, it's hard on kids who make one little mistake," one student complains.

On the whole, however, proctors say SSP students have been well-behaved, and the number of disciplinary cases is par with other years.

"It's mostly just very minor offenses, like noise," Leung says.

"I don't think [the number of students disciplined] is unusual in any respect," Moon says

Common Knowledge