Sanberg Elected Chair of College Dems National Council

By Vasugi V. Ganeshananthan, Crimson Staff Writer

The president of the Harvard-Radcliffe College Democrats has ascended to national office.

Joseph N. Sanberg '00, one of seven national leaders, will oversee state federation presidents as national council chair of the College Democrats. He is also currently president of the Massachusetts College Democrats.

Sanberg defeated an opponent from Iowa 15-6 in an election held via conference call Aug. 29.

"It was a very friendly campaign," Sanberg said. "It was fun. It was what politics should be about."

In his new position, Sanberg will help lobby for resources from the Democratic National Committee and coordinate efforts for the 2000 presidential campaign.

"[We need to] lay the groundwork to keep a Democrat in the White House and win back Congress," Sanberg said. "We have to be organized way ahead of schedule. We're going to be everywhere, working to push forth the party's goals."

He said the group will target congressional races in which collegiate votes can have an impact. He will also try to expand the number of chapters and get more college students to vote and campaign.

"It's exciting to work with people across the country," Sanberg said. "Each state has distinct needs, but there are some things that unite everyone."

The job requires a significant amount of time and travel, Sanberg said, but is still "a lot of fun."

"It gives you a neat perspective on the world--how big the country is," he said.