HUPD Warns of Designer Drug

By Marc J. Ambinder and Parker R. Conrad, Crimson Staff Writerss

The near-death of a recent graduate Sunday in a Harvard dorm room prompted University officials to issue a statement late last night warning about the "severe health risks" posed by an increasingly popular designer drug.

The circumstances following a weekend party at 10 DeWolfe St. have University officials worried about student use of gamma hydroxybutyric acid, known to police as GHB.

At 11:16 p.m. Sunday, the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) received a call alerting duty officers that two men had fallen unconscious in a second-floor room on 10 DeWolfe St.

According to Daniel A. Rosenthal '02 , who attended a party with the recent graduates, paramedics were called when the two began to convulse.

Police arrived at the scene in a minute, along with paramedics and the Cambridge Fire Department.

Authorities found two unresponsive males lying in a doorway and quickly determined that an overdose of either drugs or alcohol was to blame, witnesses and Harvard officials said.

Ambulances rushed the two to Mt. Auburn Hospital. One of the men was in critical condition, according to a hospital spokesperson. The other was taken to intensive care.

Officers soon discovered that the two had taken several shots of liquid GHB mixed with alcohol.

In an interview last night, Associate Dean of the College David P. Illingworth said he hoped Sunday's incident does not hint of a larger drug problem at Harvard.

GHB "seemed to be something new to us, that could be taken quite innocently," he said.

Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 said there are no immediate plans for disciplinary action against students who may have been involved.

"My primary reason for releasing the statement was concern for the health and safety of Harvard students," Lewis said.

And HUPD Chief Francis D. "Bud" Riley said yesterday that, as the campus's top law-enforcement officer, his priority will be to inform students about the dangers of the drug.

"Frankly, I see this more as a health issue, as opposed to a criminal investigation issue, at the present time," he said.

Although the statement urges students to "seek help," it does not say whether they can do so without fear of administrative action.

Illingworth, Lewis and Riley said Sunday's overdoses were the first time they recall dealing with incidents involving GHB.

"I sincerely hope it's not the beginning of a new trend," Illingworth said.

At the traditional all-students meeting at Winthrop House Tuesday night, Senior Tutor Sarolta A. Takacs warned students of the dangers of "Liquid G," a popular street name for GHB.

Last night's statement, which will be posted on the College's Web site, raises the possibility that GHB "may be present at Harvard."

The statement calls the colorless, odorless depressant a "date rape drug" and notes its illegality "because of its potential to cause serious, life-threatening symptoms."

A female undergraduate who witnessed the incident would only say, "one word of advice for you--pour your own drinks, and be careful if

someone hands you a clear drink."

According to information provided to health professionals by the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, GHB is often marketed by dealers as a drug to increase male sexual potency.

High doses of the drugs can lull its users into comas. When combined with alcohol, the drug can be deadly.

Although overdoses with a similar drug, Rohypnol or "Roofies," are more common, GHB is fast becoming the designer drug of choice among college students, according to health officials.

In the past three years, students have either died or become comatose after taking GHB at institutions in Massachusetts, Texas, Louisiana and Georgia. This past spring, two Princeton University students overdosed on the drug.

In the last five months, Louisiana, Colorado and Minnesota have enacted laws toughening penalties for the possession, manufacture or sale of the drug.

Although possession of the drug does not violate federal law, its sale and manufacture are banned by the Food and Drug Administration.

--Nathaniel L. Schwartz contributed to the reporting of this story.