F. Hockey Falls to No. 1 UConn, Faces Yale

By Brian C. Clay, Crimson Staff Writer

Last Wednesday, the Harvard field hockey (4-1) team made the trek down I-95 with a single goal in mind: to defeat the No. 1 ranked team in the country, the University of Connecticut (5-0).

Unfortunately they fell one goal short, losing a 2-1 heartbreaker to the highly touted Huskies.

The opening moments of the contest proved to be the difference.

Two early goals for the Huskies were all they needed for the win. Unassisted scores by sophomore forwards Amy Herz and Laura Klein comprised the UConn first period onslaught, which was enough to give the Huskies the victory.

"They truly beat us up in the first half of the game," said junior midfielder Maisa Badawy. "We played better in the second half, they were reacting to us then, but that wasn't enough. We started off too slow."

The second period proved much more successful for the Crimson, when junior forward Kate Nagle netted a goal merely 13 seconds into the period.

Despite Harvard domination of the ball in the final period, the Crimson was unable to put the ball in the net. Defense for both sides reigned supreme, as neither team scored in the closing moments.

Conditions on the field were below par for the contest, with the wind playing a large factor in the game. However, horrid environmental factors have tended to play in the Crimson's favor. They defeated Vermont 9-1 amidst pouring rain and conquered the University of New Hampshire while surrounded by the effects of tropical storm Floyd.

This time, however, Mother Nature was not on Harvard's side.

Heading into the contest, the Crimson had victories in each of their first four matches of the year. One must go back to 1990 to find a Crimson team that has maintained such a successful start. The 1990 crew finished with a 11-5-1 record, giving Harvard field hockey its first Ivy League title.

These comparisons, along with a top twenty ranking, have many placing the Crimson as strong contenders, along with Princeton, for the 1999 Ivy League Title.

"We haven't looked this good in a long time," said Badawy. "I'm knocking on wood, but if any team were going to win it (Ivy League Crown), I think it would be this team."

This Saturday, the Crimson must once again leave the friendly confines of artificially surfaced Jordan Field to battle Yale (3-2, 0-1 Ivy) in New Haven.

"This game is always so emotionally charged," Badawy said. "They beat us twice last year, in overtime and at the ECAC (Eastern Conference Athletic Conference) Championships. We're excited to get out there and get another shot."

The Bulldogs head into the contest coming off a stunning come-from-behind 2-1 victory against Fairfield (4-3) last Wednesday.

Despite trailing most of the way, the Eli's managed to net a third quarter goal, eventually sending the game into overtime. In the extra 15-minute sudden death, the Bulldogs scored off a deflection shot, giving them the win.

Keys to victory for the Crimson surround scoring early and coming out of the gate strong.

"We need to take it to them right from the start," Badawy said. "Against UConn, our problem was that we didn't believe that we could hang with them in the early part of the game. As long as we come out strong we are sure we can win."

Yale's only other Ivy-League action of the year resulted in a tough 2-1 loss to Brown (4-0, 1-0 Ivy) last Saturday.

Saturday's match will take place at the New Haven Field Complex at 12:00 p.m.