Anti-Semitic Graffiti Surfaces Near FDO

By Imtiyaz H. Delawala, Crimson Staff Writer

The recent string of hate graffiti on campus has continued with anti-Semitic messages that surfaced on the back of two street signs in front of the Freshman Dean's Office over the weekend.

One of the messages read "Jews own the media" while another sign featured the word "TRUTH" with an arrow pointing to a swastika. A small swastika was also found on a sign at the intersection of Quincy Street and Harvard Street next to Lamont Library.

The University responded with an immediate condemnation of the incident.

"The graffiti is deplorable, and of course we are sorry that it has appeared," wrote Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 in an e-mail message. "We are concerned both for the group of individuals against whom these messages are targeted, and for the lack of understanding or enlightenment of the individual who put them up."

Since the graffiti was found on street signs, which are technically Cambridge city property, the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) will not be investigating the matter. The incident has been reported to the Cambridge Police Department (CPD).

"We have a graffiti task force that will go and take pictures at the scene and keep a file on it," said CPD spokesperson Frank D. Pasquarello.

Even though the graffiti was found near a high-traffic student area near the first-year Union dorms on Prescott Street, Lewis doubted that Harvard students were involved in the incident.

"Prescott Street is a very public road," Lewis wrote. "At this point we have no reason to believe that the graffiti was either written by or targeted against Harvard students."

The anti-Semitic incident is only the latest in a string of hate graffiti at Harvard since the fall.

In December, Mather House Resident Tutor K. Kyriell Muhammad announced his plans to resign at the end of the semester after finding homophobic graffiti on his door several times.

Student reaction to the latest incident of graffiti was mixed.

"I was actually quite disturbed by it," said Nicholas S. Edwards '03, a resident of Hurlbut Hall.

Kathy H. Lee '03, who lives in Pennypacker Hall, was offended enough by the graffiti to call the CPD earlier in the week.

Some may not have noticed the graffiti, for no students or proctors made complaints to the nearby Freshman Dean's Office.

Petra R. Rivera '03, who lives in Hurlbut Hall, saw the graffiti earlier this weekend.

"My roomates and I have noticed it every time we walk by it," Rivera said. "I was wondering when something was gonna be done about it."

According to Dean of Freshmen Elizabeth Studley Nathans, the Cambridge Department of Public Works has been contacted to repaint the defaced signs.

Other measures have also been taken to monitor the possibility of future incidents.

"I have reported the incident to HUPD, so that our officers can be alert to any similar messages which

might appear on Harvard property," Nathans said.

Michael A. Kay '01, Harvard-Radcliffe Hillel chair, said he was upset by the graffiti, but said the incident was not representative of a widespread problem on campus and was most likely a random act.

"It's upsetting, but the reality is that there are people who are insensitive," Kay said. "This campus doesn't stand for intolerance, though, and I expect to see a strong reaction in the next few days."