Harvard Sprawls Across Region

Harvard University started out in the early 1600s as one house on an acre of land filled with grazing cows.

Now covering 192 acres with nearly 400 buildings in Cambridge alone, Harvard bears little resemblance to what it once was.

During the 20th century, the Harvard campus has grown at a rate of about one million square feet per decade in the city. With the University's continuing development in Cambridge and its acquisition of 52 acres of land in the Boston suburb of Allston, the expansion will continue well into the 21st century.

Learning lessons from a tussle with neighbors over a major building, Harvard is asking for more community input on its development as it realizes that determined residents do want a say.

The Knafel Conundrum

In Cambridge, the most contested areas of Harvard's expansion and development occur at the so-called "soft edges" where the campus meets the city, which are often next to large residential areas.

Why these areas? Simply because there is still room for new buildings there.

"What is still available to develop is all at the edge of the campus, which most directly affects residents," says Kathy Spiegelman, head of Harvard Planning and Real Estate.

Recommended Articles

City Debates Knafel Center's Fate at Hearings
Two days of public hearings before the Mid-Cambridge Conservation District Commission (MCDC) began the process that will decide the fate
Harvard Pledges To Reconsider Knafel Plans
Harvard is rethinking its most recent proposal for the Knafel Center for Government and International Study after a Cambridge city
Groups Combine Forces to Challenge Development in City
On most winter afternoons the light in Michael L. Charney's apartment just off Kirkland Street is blocked by William James
Harvard's Neighbor to the North
University officials in charge of community relations deserve praise for the pact they brokered last month with residents of the
Residents Weigh In On Allston Plans
While Harvard officials celebrated yesterday’s release of reports outlining the University’s future campus across the river, Allston residents remained anxious
Crowding in On Allston
The stately homes on Gordon Street in South Allston—on the other side of the I-90 turnpike—have seen better days. There