W. Hoops Remain Atop Ivy

A record was broken, a pair of sisters squared off against each other, and one half of another sisterly duo tallied two double-doubles.

All in all, it was your typical Ivy weekend for the Harvard women's basketball team where anything goes and anything could go wrong.

Harvard (9-5, 3-0 Ivy) narrowly avoided disaster Saturday, staving off a 25-6 Brown run in the last ten minutes of the second half for a 73-64 win. That victory followed a 93-77 Crimson romp over Yale on Friday.

"This is classic Ivy League," said Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney-Smith. "I'm going to walk away with a win and be happy with that."

Harvard sophomore point guard Jenn Monti had 14 assists in the win over the Bulldogs (2-10, 0-2), breaking the Harvard single-game assists mark by one.

On Saturday, senior guard Courtney Egelhoff faced a familiar foe in Brown freshman Heidi Egelhoff, a driveway nemesis from their hometown of Portland, Ore.

And in both games, junior center Melissa Johnson, whose freshman sister Sarah is on the Crimson team, earned her stat lines, finishing with 13 points and 18 rebounds against Yale, and notching 15 points and 17 rebounds against Brown.

Harvard 73, Brown 64

Recommended Articles

Harvard Needs To Rain To Reign
You live by the three, and you die by the three. That has been the Harvard women's basketball team's moniker
Road-Weary: W. Hoops Eliminated
The sun has finally set on the Harvard women's basketball dynasty. With a pair of losses at Penn and Princeton
Texas Two-Step: W. Basketball Splits
Unlike the Harvard football team, the women's basketball team saw last-minute heroics go in its favor this weekend as it
W. Hoops Takes Third at ECAC Holiday Fest
WORCESTER--The outcome wasn't what the Harvard women's basketball team or Coach Kathy Delaney-Smith wanted, but it also wasn't unexpected. After
W. Hoops Preps for Brown, Yale
The Harvard women's basketball team, tied atop the Ivy standings with Penn and Dartmouth, begins round two of league play
W. Hoops Falls to Second in Ivy After Weekend
NEW HAVEN, Conn.--On a routine road trip down I-95, the Harvard women's basketball team, which had been tied for first