Debate

By Julia H. Fawcett, Contributing Writer

Heather A. Woodruff '03 was paying close attention to what Al Gore '69 was saying at the second presidential debate Wednesday night.

Suspicious of the vice president's claims after last week's debate, the executive board member of the Harvard Republican club was just a few steps away from a computer connected to MSNBC's online fact checking website.

She turned to the website several times on Wednesday, hoping to catch Gore in another case of "fuzzy math."

"Several times Gore has blatantly lied," she said. "There's no place for accountability for the voter at home."

But at a debate where students from both parties said they were looking for one candidate to take the lead in an otherwise neck-and-neck race, many said no clear victor emerged.

Indeed, in informal viewing parties across campus--including 15 Harvard Republicans in Adams House and 75 Harvard Democrats in Quincy--students said few minds were changed by the debate.

"Both candidates had a positive performance," said Alejandro R. Rodriguez '03, a member of the Harvard Democrats executive board.

Republicans, however, said they were pleasantly surprised with Texas Gov. George W. Bush's performance.

"He seemed calm, confident, and articulate," Woodruff said. "Gore avoided specifics, but Bush didn't try to be all things to all people."

Still, members of the Harvard Democrats were on the defensive Wednesday night, as Gore tried to rebound from the accusations of exaggeration.

"It's more important for a president to be intellectually capable of making decisions than to remember minor details that he can look up," said Jessica L. Richman '01, vice-president of the Harvard Democrats.

Harvard Democrat Ari Z. Weisbard '02-'03 said he appreciated Gore's willingness to offer specifics.

"I'm glad Gore is willing to risk slipping up if it means he's going to address the issues head-on," Weisbard said.

Some of the Democrats questioned Bush's intellectual capabilities at a few points during the night--snickering when Bush stumbled.

But Republican viewers said Bush handled specific questions about foreign policy--his weak point--with skill.

In general, though, students said they were disappointed by the media's focus on the candidates' personalities--rather than issue stances--before the debate.

"Both candidates know an immense amount about the issues," Woodruff said. "If they aren't demonstrating that knowledge, it's our fault for criticizing style and not criticizing truth."

The candidates will meet for their last debate on Tuesday at Washington University in St. Louis.