Third Debate Heats Up As Candidates Attack

By Amit R. Paley, Contributing Writer

Vice President Al Gore '69 and Texas Gov. George W. Bush dropped their conciliatory tone last night in their third and final presidential debate, as they clashed on the major issues that will decide the Nov. 7 election.

The candidates argued over a variety of issues including health care, education, foreign affairs and affirmative action during the 90 minute town-hall format debate at Washington University in St. Louis.

Gore stated support for a Patient's Bill of Rights, saying the situation has "gotten completely out of hand."

Bush responded by saying that to pass the legislation requires uniting Democrats and Republicans, which Gore is unable to do.

"The difference is I can get it done--that I can get something positive done on behalf of the people. That's what the question in this campaign is about," he said.

Gore renewed a populist theme that was successful for him at the Democratic Convention this summer, repeating his support for senior prescription drug benefits.

"If you want someone who will fight for you and who will fight for the middle-class families and working men and women who are sick and tired of having their parents and grandparents...then I want to fight for you," he said.

But while Bush supported prescription drug benefits as well, his philosophy on federal government clashed with Gore.

"I'm absolutely opposed to a national health care plan. I don't want the federal government making decisions for consumers or for providers...They tried to have a national health care plan. And fortunately it failed," he said.

The two also clashed over education and the controversial issue of private school vouchers.

"Governor Bush is for vouchers and in his plan he proposes to drain more money, more taxpayer money out of the public schools for private school vouchers," said Gore. "I think that's a mistake."

Bush said that under his plan, parents could use federal money to pull students out of failing public schools.

When asked to respond to youth political apathy, Gore called for campaign finance reform.

Bush said the key to engaging young voters is ending the partisan bickering in Washington.

"I don't think it's the issues that turn the kids off," said Bush. "I think it's the tone."

A crowd of several hundred students and community members turned out to watch the debate at the Institute of Politics ARCO forum.

A large portion of the crowd showed strong support for Gore, applauding several times for him.

"Every time I watch the debates, I'm more convinced that Bush would be the worst leader ever in America," said Theresa A. House '02.

Members of the audience laughed at Bush nearly every time he spoke.

"A Harvard crowd is naturally going to be partisan and we're naturally going to think Bush is an idiot," said Harpaul A. Kohli '02.

But several students felt differently about the outcome of the debate.

"I would say Bush won," said Frank A. Micciche, a Kennedy School student.

"He has shown himself to be much more presidential."

Many students said they did not think either candidate emerged as the winner of the debate.

"I don't think this is going to change anybody's opinion," said House, "and that's sad."