It's a Small Class After All

Gov 10 has been a rite of passage for years--but for the class of 2004, it will be history.

Following a curriculum reform approved last spring, the course, formally titled Government 10, "Introduction to Political Thought," will no longer be required of department concentrators starting with the current first-year class.

Now, gov students must take a small tutorial for all of sophomore year, instead of the mythical 100 person-plus Gov 10 lecture.

It's all part of an effort to make Faculty members more accessible to students.

This fall, the Faculty has been discussing expanding the tutorial program.

But in departments, Faculty interaction has always started with the tutorial.

So it's no wonder that several departments have been taking a new look at their tutorial programs--and looking at other concentrations for tutorial models.

The Gov Example

Recommended Articles

ESPP Begins To Carve Its Niche
When the Faculty voted three years ago to approve a new concentration in Environmental Science and Public Policy (ESPP), it
Under The Gun: Choosing A Field
In less than a month, Harvard first-years are required to declare a concentration. On May 4, as the class of
History Dept. Boosts Enrollment
An improved tutorial program and a low faculty to student ratio has paid off for the History department. In the
Government Professors To Teach Substitutes for Junior Tutorial
Beginning next year the Government Department will require senior faculty to offer seminars which juniors can take instead of one
Status Quo
A riddle: When is a tutor not a tutor? An answer: When he's a senior thesis adviser. Senior faculty members
The Psychology of Small Groups
A tutorial is a tutorial is a tutorial. But what is the ideal tutorial? Obviously an individualized, intimate meeting between