Women's Soccer Defeats B.U. 3-1

By Nicolas O. Jimenez, Contributing Writer

Tested by the elements and a feisty opponent, the Harvard women's soccer team defeated Boston University 3-1 at Ohiri Field yesterday afternoon.

The Crimson (9-2-0, 3-1-0 Ivy) extended their season- high win streak to seven games, while the Terriers (9-6-0, 5-0 America East) dropped their second in a row after a five-game win streak.

Harvard, with match-ups against Princeton and Penn State this weekend, has scored three or more goals in four consecutive games and gained a 2-0 advantage on the Terriers before the rain slowed down the pace.

"It wasn't our prettiest game", freshman midfielder Katie Westfall said. "The rain was definitely a factor, with the ball bouncing a lot riskier."

Throughout the match, the Crimson constantly substituted starters, trying to avoid an unnecessary injury before the battle with Princeton.

However, the Crimson wasted no time in taking the lead, with sophomore midfielder Orly Ripmaster denting the scoreboard only 1:37 into the match. Seizing the opportunity, Ripmaster lofted one into the far corner over B.U. keeper Danielle Demers for a 1-0 lead.

Harvard wasn't done scoring in the first half, with its second goal arriving at 27:36 off the foot of senior midfielder Meredith Stewart. Following a brilliant pass by Westfall, Stewart blasted one past Demers for a 2-0 Crimson lead.

Under the pouring rain, the second half started slowly for the Crimson.

Five minutes after intermission, B.U. co-captain Deidre Enos cut across the middle and beat Harvard sophomore goalkeeper Cheryl Gunther to her right side.

After finally breaking the Harvard defense, the Terriers continued its push, almost tying the match in the 53rd minute. B.U. freshman forward Katie Smurthwaite's cannon shot bounced off the left post just past the reach of Gunther and the score remained 2-1.

" We could have played better," Gunther said. " But due to our big games this weekend, we didn't want to kill ourselves."

Woken up by the close call, the Crimson offense went back to the attack, led by Westfall.

Off a corner kick, Westfall attempted a shot for the 3-1 lead, but barely missed wide to the right. Seconds later, Harvard senior forward Ashley Mattison, with her back turned to the net, responded by trying a bicycle kick that just missed giving the Crimson another goal.

With Harvard on the attack, Mattison found freshman fullback Lauren Cozzolino, who in turn found Westfall. Westfall launched a rocket from point-blank range that eluded Demers and gave the Crimson the 3-1 lead at 72:21.

The Harvard defense closed out the Terriers, with Gunther leading the way. Attempting one final run, Gunther stopped two B.U. shots with 15 minutes left, including a diving save on a breakaway that sealed the 3-1 victory.

"This was a dangerous game," Harvard Head Coach Tim Wheaton said. "We faced a tough opponent with a huge weekend awaiting us."

The Crimson enjoyed great games by Westfall and Gunther. Westfall recorded a goal and an assist on three shots, while Gunther recorded nine saves. Also contributing goals were Ripmaster and Stewart.

Harvard accumulated 17 shots and nine saves as a team, while B.U. had 19 shots and five saves. Both teams committed 10 fouls, with B.U. having one more offside at 2-1.

"We are looking forward to Princeton and Penn State," Gunther said. "This was a nice victory for us, even though we took it easy."

The Crimson faces Ivy League front-runner Princeton tomorrow in a match-up that might decide this season's Ivy champion. Entering their match, Princeton is 4-0 in Ivy competition, while Harvard is 3-1.

It doesn't get any easier for the Crimson after facing the Tigers. Harvard then faces nationally ranked No.5 Penn State on Sunday.

"This is our chance to prove ourselves," Westfall said.