What Women Want

By Dan Fox, Contributing Writer

Water flows through Dr. T and the Women, Roger Altman's new ensemble comedy. In overcast Texas the clouds routinely open up, drenching the all-star cast, which includes Richard Gere, Helen Hunt, Liv Tyler and budding starlet Kate Hudson. In fact, a source of water can be found in nearly every scene, be it an ornate fountain at the mall, a chirping sprinkler on a golf course, or a calm pond in the woods. As such, water gives the movie a sense of coherence. Which is good, because the plot certainly doesn't.

Gere plays the title role: Dr. Sullivan Travis, gynecologist extraordinaire. Dr. T, as he is affectionately dubbed by the Dallas socialites who frequent his practice, is a man completely surrounded by women. He happily drifts along in his sea of XX chromosomes-females dominate Dr. T's life and he is completely comfortable with this fact. He is a pleasant and charismatic, a loving father, and a devoted husband. Dr. T is The Perfect Male, so much so that his wife, Kate (played by Farrah Fawcett, who fleshes out her loopy David Letterman appearance persona into a full-fledged character) suffers from a rare disorder that only affects women whose spouses love them too much. Dr. T never veers out of character; he remains sturdy and sane throughout the production. It is the females in his life who descend into madness, alcoholism, adultery-you know, all the bad stuff that people are capable of. Slowly, T's life unravels and before long even the good doctor cannot fight the waves of misfortune that come crashing down on him.

Other than this, not much happens in Dr. T and the Women. Events naturally flow from order to disorder and then the credits role. Altman does a magnificent job proving that women, for the most part, are insane creatures who tend to ruin everything. Poignant, no?

The saving grace of the film is Gere, perfectly cast as the masculine yet non-threatening Dr. T. Gere devours this meaty role, bringing an aspect of humanity to a movie populated with caricatures. Yes, this is not exactly a departure from the type of character the actor typically plays. But hey, the man's damn good at what he does. Consider this Gere's honors thesis at the University for Charming Leading Men. Other highlights include Shelly Long as Carolyn, T's plucky assistant, and Tara Reid as the doctor's conspiracy-obsessed daughter (she gives enthusiastic tours of the grassy knoll). Helen Hunt, usually dependable, plays Bree, the golf instructor Dr. T becomes romantically involved with after his wife is committed to a mental institution. The character, who is smart but cold, is an odd fit for Hunt. The Academy Award-winning actress can do better than this measly, unlikable role-Bree is clearly half-baked.

In the end, Dr. T and the Women is a clever premise diluted with so many quirky, one-dimensional characters, there is hardly any time for a logical plot to unfold. It is a great big puddle of a movie that leaves the viewer feeling confused and all wet.

DR. T AND THE WOMEN

directed by

Robert Altman

starring

Richard Gere

Liv Tyler

Artisan

directed by

Robert Altman

starring

Richard Gere

Liv Tyler

Artisan