No. 11 W. Soccer Faces No. 21 Dartmouth in Crucial Ivy Match

With stress levels soaring in the midst of midterms and a two-game losing streak, the No. 11 Harvard women's soccer team got exactly what it needed yesterday--a day off.

The Crimson (10-4, 4-1 Ivy) did not practice yesterday, electing instead to rest up as it prepares for a crucial match on Sunday against No. 21 Dartmouth in Hanover. The battle will feature the top two teams in the Northeast, as the Crimson and the Big Green (10-4, 3-1 Ivy) are ranked No. 1 and 2 in the region, respectively.

More importantly, Sunday's tilt will once again have a huge impact on the Ivy League standings. In each of the past six seasons, the winner of the Harvard-Dartmouth match-up has gone on to become Ivy League champion. The stakes are no less high this time around, as the Big Green is just half a game in back of the Crimson for first place in the league.

"This is the absolute biggest game of the year," sophomore midfielder Orly Ripmaster said. "If we don't win, we don't win the Ivy League, and that is our entire purpose. Dartmouth is going to be up for this and neither of us wants to be denied."

On Sunday, Harvard will be seeking to regroup after sustaining 1-0 losses to both Penn State and UConn earlier this week. The twin defeats snapped the Crimson's eight-game winning streak and have provided Harvard with back-to-back losses for the first time since the early part of the 1998 campaign.

The most adverse trend of late for the Crimson has been its difficulty converting scoring opportunities into goals. Against Penn State in particular, Harvard posed numerous threats in the offensive end early in the first half, but could not find the back of the net. Those lost opportunities were magnified as the game went on, as the Crimson got fewer and fewer good chances.

And so now Harvard finds itself in its longest scoreless stretch in seven seasons.

The task on offense will not be any easier this weekend against the Big Green. Dartmouth has allowed just two goals in league action so far this season.

Recommended Articles

The Greene Line
Hanover, N.H.--What happened in last night's women's basketball game between Harvard and Dartmouth has happened before, and it will happen
F. Hockey Eliminated From Ivy Contention
The Harvard field hockey team officially bowed from the race for the Ivy League championship Saturday when Dartmouth came to
W. Soccer Looks to Avoid Tigers' Trap
The Harvard women's soccer team travels to Princeton tomorrow to take on the Tigers in a huge Ivy League game.
Hapless Dartmouth Challenges Icemen
Worst meets best at Bright Center at 7:30 p.m. tonight as the ECAC doormat Dartmouth men's hockey team faces league-leading
No Treat for W. Soccer Against No. 9 UConn
The Harvard women’s soccer team fell 3-1 yesterday to UConn and ruined a golden chance to solidify its position for
Women's Lacrosse Stumbles at Dartmouth
The Harvard women’s lacrosse team suffered its second demoralizing loss in as many games yesterday, falling 15-3 to Ivy League