Athlete of the Week: Ryan Kelly `01

By Daniel E. Fernandez, Crimson Staff Writer

A good athlete contributes to the speed, skill, or strength of his team.

A great athlete embodies its soul.

Ryan Kelly, the captain of the men's soccer team, proved this week that he is not only the leader of the Crimson offense on the field, but also the emotional force behind its recent success.

Sunday, against the regionally ranked Boston College Eagles, Kelly created scoring opportunity after scoring opportunity and eventually tallied the game-winning goal in the 47th minute.

Earlier in the week, Harvard topped Northeastern, another tough cross-town rival, on the strength of a goal and an assist by Kelly.

Kelly's five points (two goals and one assist) this week have vaulted him to the team lead in both points and goals and have cemented him as the offensive catalyst for the young Crimson.

"Most of our attack goes through him," said junior goaltender Dan Mejias. "Ryan has really become our playmaker."

In addition to his prowess on the field, Kelly has also been instrumental in guiding the team off the field and during practice.

"I knew we would have a lot of talent this year, so I have tried my best to show by example the type of dedication you need to be competitive," Kelly said.

In particular, Kelly's brand of fiery encouragement and his exemplary leadership have worked wonders on the team's large freshman contingent.

"I remember our first meeting with the freshmen and what Ryan told them," said sophomore back Joe Steffa. "He essentially said that the team was counting on them to play like seniors and that their time to step up was now."

Two freshmen, forward Spencer George and midfielder Ladd Fritz, have responded to Kelly's call by being second and third on the team in points, respectively.

"His support and encouragement have been crucial," George said. "By being so positive, he makes it easier for the younger guys to play better."

All of this praise is much deserved: Kelly is a two-year captain of the team. Only one other player in the Crimson's 95 year history, Lane Kentworthy '86, can claim such a sign of respect.

But Kelly's accomplishments on paper and in the history books do not adequately represent his role as a leader for this fledgling team. The true measure of his stature is the respect afforded him by his teammates and the intensity with which he competes in both practices and games.

Ryan Kelly does not merely contribute to the speed, skill, and strength of the team; he embodies its soul.