Losing Lieberman's Seat

Vice presidential candidate should abandon Senate campaign to win White House

By The CRIMSON Staff

Running for office involves many sacrifices. The sacrifice seems especially great when an office already won is traded for an uncertain post. Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman (D-Conn.) has tried to avoid this sacrifice by running in Connecticut's Senate election at the same time he runs for vice president. Although it is understandable that Lieberman would want to retain his place in the Senate if he were defeated, his party and his integrity call upon him to concentrate solely on the vice presidential race.

Lieberman began his Senate candidacy well before there was any suggestion of his nomination for vice president. The Republican party nominated Philip Giordano, a local mayor with little money or name recognition, instead of trying to win a difficult campaign against the popular Lieberman. But if Lieberman is sworn in as vice president, he must resign from the Senate. Under Connecticut law, his successor would be named by the governor, a Republican who will surely name a fellow party member to the vacant spot. A new election for the seat will be held in 2002, the next regular election year.

Losing Lieberman's seat to a Republican is especially dangerous for the Democrats. The Republican advantage in the Senate consists of only four seats--and Democratic prospects to pick up several new seats are good in the coming election. The post-electoral replacement of Lieberman by a Republican could cost the Democrats control of the Senate.

Lieberman has so far refused to cancel his Senate campaign, arguing that since the primary season has ended, a new Democratic candidate would have to be chosen by the state's Democratic party and that this would be undemocratic. This is a feeble excuse, underscored by the fact that only one person, Gov. John Rowland, will name Lieberman's replacement if the Gore/Lieberman ticket prevails. Lieberman hopes to have electoral laws rewritten so that a special election is held the year after a Senator steps down instead of waiting until the next general election year. Unsurprisingly, Rowland has promised to veto such a bill if it reaches his desk. Although this law might be a worthwhile reform under other circumstances, it is at this time a blatant attempt by Lieberman to manipulate electoral rules for his own benefit.

Instead of attempting to evade his responsibilities by changing the laws after the fact, Lieberman should accept the burdens and risks of being a vice presidential candidate. Moreover, should Lieberman withdraw, it is likely that Connecticut's popular attorney general, Richard M. Blumenthal '67 would run in his place. Preliminary polls suggest Blumenthal, a former Crimson executive, would also defeat the Republican nominee. Lieberman's Senate career offers ample evidence that he can make difficult decisions based upon his convictions. In the next few weeks, we urge him to once again demonstrate his character by withdrawing from the Senate race.