Fly Club Seeks City's Historic Designation

Change may be thwarted by all-male membership

By Kathryn B. Hill, Contributing Writer

The Fly Club has asked the Cambridge City Council to designate its building a historical landmark, possibly allowing for a reassessment of its property tax, according to Cambridge City Councilor Jim Braude.

The City Council received the request from the Fly, one of Harvard's eight all-male final clubs, last February. With a "historic easement," contributions to the club would be tax-deductible.

But the club's all-male status may prevent the council from giving its stamp of approval.

"There is a sense that that sort of exemption should not flow to an organization that is all male," Braude said.

The proposal to endorse the easement has been on the council agenda for several weeks. The council is expected to act upon it soon.

Fly members at the building yesterday evening declined comment for this article.

This proposal would prohibit any changes to the facade of the club's building at 2 Holyoke Place, next to Lowell House, meaning that it cannot be altered or demolished for renovation or new development.

The Fly had to first apply for the easement to Historic Massachusetts Inc, a non-profit state-wide organization. While the organization took the all-male status into account, they ultimately decided the preservation of the building was more important and beneficial to the entire community.

"But," said Margaret Dysom of Historical Massachusetts Inc., "it was certainly a topic for discussion."

The organization is concerned solely with the outside upkeep of the building.

"The interior of the building was not our concern," Dysom said.

Dysom said she does not know of any other final clubs that have applied this sort of easement.