Building Boom

A quick update on construction projects around campus.

The Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) has a number of construction projects currently underway, some of which are in very beginning stages, others of which are nearing completion.

Life Science building

Excavation work has begun on a new $35 million Life Science building which will connect the Sherman-Fairchild building to the Naito chemistry building.

Located on Divinity Avenue, the Life Science building (not to be confused with the Science Center) will house permanently the Center for Genomic Research and consolidate a mass spectrometer operation for advanced research in the basement.

The Center for Genomic Research is temporarily located in the Biological Laboratories, also on Divinity Avenue.

Creation of the center was a part of a major $200 million science initiative launched by Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles' in 1999.

"[This building is] a priority within the intellectual community at Harvard," says David Zewinski, Associate Dean for Physical Resources and Planning at FAS.

Work on the site began during the summer, and Zewinski estimates the project will be completed in March 2002.

Recommended Articles

$10M Makeover Planned For University Hall
University Hall, arguably Harvard Yard's most distinguished building, will undergo significant renovations, possibly beginning as early as this fall. Saying
Knafel Center Seeks Community Approval
Harvard's Knafel Center for the social sciences has been on the drawing board for two years, but local residents' opposition
Deans Move Back Into Renovated University Hall
Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) administrators moved back into their University Hall offices yesterday, marking the end of a
Back to the Yard
After years of heavy development in the Square, Harvard has brought its workers home to the Yard. A full seven
Back to the Yard
Back to the Yard