Lineman Clare Named Harvard Football MVP

Senior left tackle Mike Clare was named Harvard football's Most Valuable Player last night during the Crimson's end-of-the-season banquet at the Harvard Club of Boston.

Clare was also 127th captain of Harvard football.

Considered a pro-prospect, the 6'4, 325-pound Clare played in every game since his sophomore campaign and was considered a key part of the Crimson's successful running game this season.

With its captain overpowering opposing interior lineman throughout the 2000 season, Harvard's offense set numerous school records including total offense (4,679 yards), first downs (239) and the modern day record for point scored (327).

The Crimson topped the Ivy League in rushing yards per game with 179.4.

In other team news, junior defensive tackle Ryan Fitzgerald was named the 128th captain after a vote by the players yesterday before the dinner.

It was the first season in the starting line-up for the 6'2 225 pounder from nearby West Roxbury, Mass. He registered 29 tackles, five pass-breaks-ups, two fumble recoveries and one sack for the Crimson defense.

This is the third time in five years a defensive lineman has captained the Harvard football team.

Recommended Articles

Young, Talented Offensive Line Faces Doubters
The Harvard offensive line has undergone a series of changes over the past couple of years. It dominated in 1997,
Captain Clare: Big Guy, Bigger Heart
In the fall of 1996, a legend invited the captain to Harvard. Mike Clare, a star for Rutherford High School
The Ra-Hooligan: Gotta Give Credit to That O-Line
Sitting high above the action at Lafayette's Fisher Field Saturday during the first quarter, I started to worry. By this
Harvard and Yale Play for Pride in 117th Game
During what has come to be known as Rivalry Week, millions of college football fans will gather in stadiums and
Crimson Places Three on All-Ivy First Team
The Ivy League named three Harvard football players to the All-Ivy First Team yesterday afternoon. Captain Mike Clare and senior
Jailed in Libya, Harvard Graduate and Journalist Clare Gillis Talks to Parents
Clare M. Gillis, a recent Harvard graduate who was reporting on the Libyan civil war, was finally allowed to call home last Thursday, marking her first contact with the outside world more than two weeks after being captured in Libya.