Living Wage Advocates May Target Harvard Corp. in Future Protests

Participants in the living wage campaign of the Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM) concluded yesterday that they will only win higher wages for Harvard employees by aggressively lobbying the Harvard Corporation and educating the student body.

Their dinner discussion last night centered on what speakers called the "undemocratic" practices of the seven-member Corporation, the University's highest governing body.

Students said the meeting was intended as a brainstorming session to reinvigorate the living wage campaign, which is going into its third year. The discussion was open to all students.

One disgruntled student said that when she asked University Provost Harvey V. Fineberg '67 where the next Corporation meeting would be held, he said, "If I gave you that information that would be the last meeting I'd have with the Corporation."

"Harvard should be an educational community, not a corporation," said Benjamin L. McKean '02, a member of PSLM.

The meeting focused on the Corporation because group members said the Corporation is responsible for effectively reducing the wages of Harvard janitors, guards and kitchen workers by deciding to contract them from other companies instead of hiring them directly.

"Some of the SSI workers are just two or three years older than we are," and still attending college, said PLSM member Claudia A. Sitgraves '02.

Sitgraves said combating students' apathy about the living wage campaign and educating them about the Corporation is the first step in their efforts.

Recommended Articles

The Untouchables
During the last week of October, 400 students signed a petition addressed to the Harvard Corporation. The Progressive Student Labor
PSLM Protest Draws Heavy Media Attention
Nice weather and impeccable timing attracted about 150 students and a dozen members of the media to a rally by
PSLM Turns Focus on Corporation
After two years of demonstrations targeting the deans and vice presidents of Mass. Hall and University Hall, students campaigning for
Take Over: PSLM Sits In
Last year, it was Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. This year, God came out in support of a living wage.
A Stand on Apartheid
At Harvard, no one seems ready to go as far as the 20 Hampshire students who this week seized an
Hall to Take Industry Post Within Next Two Months
Stephen S.J. Hall, vice president for administration, who has announced his intentions to leave Harvard May 15, said yesterday he