Pressure Mounts For Gore To Concede

Students express frustration with long recount process

By Margaretta E. Homsey and William M. Rasmussen, Contributing Writerss

The pressure is mounting for Vice-President Al Gore '69 to concede the presidential election.

An ABC News-Washington Post poll found that 60 percent of Americans believe Gore should give up now that Florida Secretary of State Katherine Harris certified Florida for Texas Gov. George W. Bush on Sunday.

But last night, speaking on national television, Gore vowed to fight on, claiming that he has not yet received "a single, full and accurate count."

Gore is petitioning the Florida Supreme Court to call for a new election in Palm Beach County, Fla., furthering the delay in the declaration of the next U.S. president.

Last night, Gore said, "a vote is a human voice," and that "we must not let those voices be silenced."

He said he believes "the constitution matters more than convenience," in this election.

Justifying his newest request before the Florida Supreme Court, Gore said it would "ensure the greatest possible credibility for the outcome [of the election]."

Although some prominent Democrats, like former Labor

Secretary Robert Reich, have urged Gore to concede, student opinions on the election often seem to divide along partisan lines.

"I am watching with a feeling of dismay," said Jessica M. Gordon '03. "The way everyone looks at [the election] is completely influenced by their politics and not by any ideas of fairness or justice."

Anthony Ekmekjian '04, the communications director of the Harvard Democrats, supports continued recounting. He said he believes Gore will concede willingly but only after a legitimate count.

"What Gore is doing now is right although it might look bad to the public," Ekmekjian said.

But Jason P. Brinton '00-'01, the president of the Harvard Republican Club, said he thinks Gore should step aside.

"He's more concerned with how he can change the vote to get the result he wants," Brinton said. "He's a fighter but he just doesn't know when to stop."

Among both Republican and Democratic students, though, there is a general feeling of frustration with continual recounts and court appeals, and a desire to finalize the election results.

"I don't think recounts will have much of an effect, and it's not worth the frustration to continue," said Democrat Leila Chirayath '04. "And besides, it's not like [Gore's] career is over."

Bush supporter Melissa R. Moschella '02 expressed similar thoughts.

"I supported the recount until last night, but now it's too destabilizing to the country if it continues," she said.

Some students feel it is unlikely Gore will win even if the recount is extended.

"It seems like there's little possibility unless they count the dimpled chads, which is ridiculous," Moschella said.

There are also students who do not seem to care who wins.

"I feel like people aren't that passionate about the election," Chirayath said.

"The differences between candidates aren't that marked compared to past elections, and people are content," she said.

For now, however, Gore will continue to press for a full counting of Florida votes.

The court has given lawyers for the Gore and Bush camps until 5 p.m. on Tuesday to file papers arguing whether or not the court should hear the case.