Cheap Seats Out of Cambridge Sell Quickly

By Zachary R. Mider, Crimson Staff Writer

The sign outside Carlson Wagonlit Travel, on JFK Street, advertises flights to Los Angeles for $269.

But don't try to book one for Christmas Break.

A flight during the holiday season now sells for $309 at the agency, because students have already snatched up the cheapest flights at Harvard Square travel agencies.

"We're going to be busy in the next couple of weeks telling people of the high prices," said Danny Bensi, a supervisor at STA Travel, on Mt. Auburn Street, although he said that this year's prices are no different from last season's. As the weeks count down to the holidays, he said, prices rise rapidly.

"People see a $300 ticket and say 'I always fly home for $200,'" Bensi said. When they call back later and say, ''I'll take that $300 ticket,'' he tells them "that ain't happening anymore, pal." By that time the price of the ticket has risen again.

Most students seeking overseas flights for Christmas have already booked them, said Eduardo Araya, a travel agent at Carlson Wagonlit.

Now, the Square agencies are crowded with U.S. residents booking their flights home.

"At Thanksgiving, parents ask [students] if they've bought their tickets for Christmas, and probably give them the go-ahead to use the credit card," said Jasna Nightingale, a travel consultant at Council Travel on Eliot Street.

No one agency always offers the best deals on holiday flights. Today, a Harvard student from Miami who wants to visit her family during Christmas could find a ticket for $350 at Carlson Wagonlit, but both STA and Council Travel offer a similar flight for only $300.

Her roommate, booking a flight to Los Angeles for the same days, would find the best deal at Council Travel, for $288 round-trip. Carlson Wagonlit, American Express and STA Travel offered prices of $340, 329, and $309, respectively.

Business school student Narcisa Sehovic, buying a ticket to her hometown of Ljubljana, Slovenia from STA Travel, said that after comparing

the prices of online travel services, the Square agency still offered the best deals. She said she saved $370 by shopping at STA Travel.