GOP and Dem Parties Turn Into Tense Affairs

By Joseph P. Flood, Contributing Writer

As Americans huddled around television sets in homes across the nation, hundreds of Harvard students congregated at partisan gatherings to collectively cringe at--and celebrate--the cliffhanger late into the night.

The College Republicans celebrated at the Sigma Chi fraternity house while the Democrats gathered in the Lowell House Junior Common Room. Students also congregated at a slightly less partisan gathering at the IOP and at a spontaneous celebration in the Straus Common Room.

The Republican gathering, while slightly smaller than the Democrats', proved a little more festive than the Democrats' party. Perhaps it was the crystal clear satellite TV reception or the dessert tray. Or perhaps it was the frat-house atmosphere and availability of alcohol.

Sarcastic yells of "communists" and inebriated attempts at Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 impressions abounded at the unorthodox political gathering site.

"It was a good venue," said Robert R. Porter'02, chair of the Harvard Students for Bush and Sigma Chi member. "There is no official connection--many of the [fraternity] members are Democrats."

One of those Democrats is Marc Stad '01, president of the College Democrats. At Lowell House, Stad and his fellow Democrats celebrated amid a bevy of pizza, soda and donuts.

While they were a slightly more subdued crowd, the Democrats were not to be outdone in the category of sardonic humor.

"Kill whitey," quipped one reveler when the news flashed statistics reflecting the pro-Texas. Gov. George W. Bush leanings of white, Protestant males.

Later Thomas J. Clarke '04 flashed the choke-symbol to a chorus of Bush jokes when it was prematurely announced that Vice President Al Gore '69 would win in Florida.

Porter said many of the jokes criticizing Bush's intelligence, which have been so prevalent in the media and on campus, are not well-founded.

"I believe he is a lot more intelligent than people give him credit for," Porter said.

But at least one Republican took the jokes in stride.

"I admit that the jokes themselves are pretty funny," said Andrew C. Clark '03.

Meanwhile, an impromptu party sprang up in Straus Common Room.

"We have a lot of dorm love and do a lot of things together," said Benjamin P. Erickson '04, the party's pizza provider.

The gathering featured a "George W. Dartboard" where anxious Gore supporters could relieve stress. The relatively partisan crowd also included a group of first-years that swore that if Bush won they would dress in all black today to mourn Gore's loss.

But all of the festivities aside, the focus of all the parties was the outcome of the election. As the hours crept by and Tuesday night became Wednesday morning, watchers became visibly more tense, and signs of wear began to show.

Shortly after midnight, before the election was called in favor of Bush, Marc Stad stood before the College Democrats, telling them regardless of the outcome, they should be proud of the work they put in and that they should stay involved in the political process.

While Stad and others maintained a brave front, it was clear that most were pessimistic at best about Gore's dwindling chances.

"I'm really scared of the prospects," said Evan S. Day '03. "It was really disappointing when the announcement that Gore had won a key state like Florida was recalled."

Following his short speech, Stad invited those who were interested to leave Lowell to go to his room in Quincy House to watch the coverage and partake in a few refreshments.

At Sigma Chi, the much more confident Bush supporters cheered, laughed and taunted First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton's victory speech with cries of "You may have won, but we've got the presidency!"

Jubilant Republican students took to the streets after Bush was declared the victor in Florida returns, even stopping by The Crimson to chant and wave signs. Earlier in the night, they had promised to parade from Tommy's House of Pizza to the Institute of Politics (IOP) to celebrate a Bush victory.

But as more votes were tallied in Florida, Bush's lead shrank to several hundred votes, leaving the election too close to call.