ROTC Cadets Hold Vigil for American POWs and MIAs

By Sarah A. Dolgonos, Crimson Staff Writer

Early this morning, Harvard, MIT, Wellesley and Tufts ROTC cadets concluded a 24-hour vigil dedicated to prisoners of war and Americans missing in action.

ROTC cadets traditionally hold a 24-hour watch during the week before Veterans' Day. Gathering by the POW/MIA flag in front of the MIT Student Center, they stood guard in a rotating watch from 7 a.m. Tuesday until 8 a.m. this morning.

The vigil was part of a series of events honoring the 93,000 military and civilian Americans listed as prisoners of war or missing in action and to all soldiers who served their nation.

The vigil was meant to "enhance cadet understanding of the proud tradition they are preparing to join," said David Henry, United States Air Force Captain. It raises "community awareness of the sacrifice made by men and women of our armed services," he wrote in an e-mail message.

Brian R. Smith '01, a third year cadet in Air Force ROTC, said the event pays tribute to those who have served the nation.

"I guess none of us can ever know the pain of torture or the loneliness of captivity that many prisoners of war had to endure," Smith said. "All we can do is recognize and honor the sacrifices they have made for the higher ideal of freedom."