Not Not the Jayhawks

By Krisa Benskin, Contributing Writer

I didn't know quite what to expect from the Jayhawks. After all, even though they performed at the Paradise Rock Club, they're considered an alt-country band. And who knows what alt-country is anyway? But let me tell you, they put on one hell of a show. The best flat-out rock and roll I've heard in years. Between the hot guitar riffs of Gary Louris and Kraig Johnson and the driving rhythms provided by drummer Tim O'Reagan, not a foot in the house wasn't tapping.

If "alt-country" brings to mind images of Shania Twain, kick her leopard-print-clad ass right on out. Alt-country, or Y'allternative as it is sometimes called, is definitely not the glitzy pop-twang that today's country has become. Nor does it have the excess of sound-alike, look-alike bands of alternative rock. For initiates to the alt-country scene, it's hard to define the sound. Maybe the stage footwear of the Jayhawks provides a good analogy. Vocalist Gary Louris was decked out in cowboy boots, while fellow guitarist Kraig Johnson sported Converse sneakers. Not quite country. Not quite rock.

After several changes in membership, the Jayhawks seem to have settled on a sure-fire combination. The only remaining member from the very first Jayhawks performance in 1985 is bassist Marc Perlman. In fact, the whole band proved quite versatile. While Louris, having fully taken over the leadership of the band from the departed co-founder Mark Olson, provided most of the vocals on the Jayhawks' recent albums, both Johnson and drummer Tim O'Reagan contributed lead vocals onstage. O'Reagan's version of Charlie Rich's "Life Has Its Little Ups and Downs" was an excellent, soulful showcase of the band's new vocal lineup. The band's instrument work was equally superb. Louris' harmonica brought a classic country sound to the driving rock sound characteristic of the live show. New addition Jen Gunderman provided a deft touch on the keyboards. Even Johnson slid over to show off on piano.

The high points of the show included a rousing rendition of "Until You Came Along," a song previously recorded by Golden Smog, a side project of several members of the band. Louris' semi-comedic version of "All by Myself" was an interesting addition to the encore, which, to the delight of the audience, was epic. Louris held the spotlight with his energetic stage presence, unique guitar sound, and engaging vocals on crowd favorites such as "Trouble" and "Blue." Although some fans have lamented their recent turn towards the pop side of the force on the last Jayhawks album Smile, "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me" was still received with thunderous applause, as was every song on the set list.

So the Jayhawks' brand of alt-country had something for those who used to love country but have drifted from the Dixie Chicks and she-who-feels-like-a-woman, something for rock and alternative music lovers. Not quite country, not quite rock. But just the right amount of each.

THE JAYHAWKS

at

The Paradise

November 17

at

The Paradise

November 17