It's All About (Shoe) Polish

By Lauren R. Dorgan, Contributing Writer

In hiring new employees, many companies look for well-polished candidates--both on their resumes and on their shoes.

A survey of corporate executives conducted by Kiwi Brands, a leading manufacturer of shoe polish, found that nearly 80 percent considered "well-cared-for shoes very important" to their success.

And at Odessa Instant Shoe Repair in Cambridge, employee Steve Santos said polish can make or break a person's overall appearance and shoe care.

"Polish--that's number one" Santos said. "You gotta keep your shoes clean."

But in the midst of recruiting season, are Harvard students taking heed of all the advice?

Ronaldo Rauseo-Ricupero '04, who was decked out in a suit and tie--and shiny shoes--at Annenberg Hall yesterday, said he performed extensive upkeep on his loafers.

"These are kind of new," Rauseo-Ricupero said. "I went to the cobbler's and made sure to put tips on them so that the heels and tips don't wear out."

He said he also polished his brown shoes with two colors of polish--black for the base of the shoes and brown for the top part.

Rauseo-Ricupero said his efforts helped ensure his shoes stood the test of time and looked good.

"I like shoes, but I'm hard on shoes" he said.

Kathryn C. Ousley '01, who is in the midst of professional interviews for recruiting, said the recruiting season increases the importance of well-maintained shoes.

"I think shoes are especially important in the winter because you're wearing a big coat and hat- so you're looking down. Shoes are what you see," she said.

Christopher J. Evans '01, also doing recruiting now, said that shoes can make or break a good impression with employers.

"Shoes do matter, because you don't want to look awkward" he said.

Still, Evans took a minimalist approach to shoe choice and care.

"I just have a standard pair of black shiny shoes I wear" said Evans. "I polish my shoes when they need shining."

Nevertheless, for most first-years who feel less pressure to get jobs, shoe care is low on the list of priorities.

When asked if he had a shoe care routine, Ansel A. Payne '04 leaned over to look at his shoes and grimaced.

"Apparently, not so much" he said. "They don't look so hot. I don't do anything to my shoes, that's the first step."

Still, Payne said that despite his scruffy shoes, he is confident that he'll be able to get a job one day.

"My hope is that the Harvard degree will balance out my shoddy shoe care" Payne said.