Canadian Named Rhodes Scholar

Tegan S. Shohet '01, of Mather House and Toronto, Ontario, has upheld a prestigious family tradition by winning one of the 11 Rhodes scholarships awarded to Canadian students this year.

Both Shohet's grandfather and uncle had previously represented Canada as Rhodes scholars.

The prestigious award provides funds to study at Oxford University in the United Kingdom.

An economics concentrator, Shohet said she plans to enter the field of international relations and will study for a master's or doctoral degree in philosophy at a still-to-be determined Oxford college.

"[Applying] was a fantastic opportunity," she said. "From whatever Oxford is, and I don't even know yet, I'll try to pull out whatever I can."

Shohet said she is interested studying in the fields of journalism, foreign service or law as they apply to international relations.

Shohet was recently elected a member of Phi Beta Kappa, one of 48 members of the Class of 2001 to achieve this distinction during the fall.

This fall, Shohet also adapted and directed Shelagh Stevenson's The Memory of Water at the Loeb Experimental Theater, which The Crimson termed "a show worth remembering" in its review.

Recommended Articles

Point Counter Point
(Ed. Note--The Crimson does not necessarily endorse opinions expressed in printed communications. No attention will be paid to anonymous letters
RHODES SCHOLARSHIP ELECTIONS DUE IN 1928
The next election of Rhodes Scholars will be held this year on December 8, it has been announced by Frank
RHODES SCHOLARS UPHELD BY CORRY
The following article, the last of a series of six, was written for the Crimson by Andrew Vincent Corry '26,
AMERICANS SUCCEED AT OXFORD
The annual report of the Rhodes scholarship trust, which has just been issued, contains a statement giving the young American
SUCCESS OF RHODES SYSTEM
There is encouragement for American scholarship in the recently published annual report of the Rhodes Scholarship Trust. American Rhodes scholars
Oxford Students Off to Front
Ten American students at Oxford University, England, eight of whom are Rhodes scholars, left last week for Belgium to work