Election Commission Fines Candidates

In a series of rulings last night and Monday night, the commission that runs the Undergraduate Council elections cited four of the five candidate tickets for violations of campaign rules--mostly involving illegal postering.

Violations cost the candidates points. Each candidate received 50 such points at the beginning of the race and if a candidate loses more than these 50, he or she is disqualified. The points also affect the candidates' spending limit.

The Commission docked B.J. Averell '02 a total of 14 points for illegal postering and for late submissions of a campaign spending report. His running mate, Amias M. Gerety '02 was docked eight points.

Justin A. Barkley '02 and his running mate Adam M. Johnson '02 were each docked two points for postering violations. Paul A. Gusmorino '02 was docked two points for submitting his campaign spending report late. Finally, Stephen N. Smith '02 and his vice-presidential candidate James C. Coleman '03 each lost five points for illegal campaigning in Annenberg Hall on Monday.

Only one campaign ticket--that of Matthew Zanotelli '02 and John F. Bash '03--did not receive violations.

A one point deduction means that a campaign's $100 spending limit is reduced by $1. For every 10 penalty points, a candidate is assessed an additional $10 "fine"--meaning that 10 points in violations equals a loss of $20 in spending.

The Commission is being especially strict this year, after accusations of campaign finance improprieties last election led to the impeachment of council Vice President John A. Burton '01.

"This year, we're enforcing both the spirit of the law and the letter of the law," commission chair Kyle D. Hawkins '02 said.

Recommended Articles

Five Tickets Will Seek Highest Council Posts
The five candidates for Undergraduate Council president start off the campaign agreeing on at least one thing: this might be
As Race Opens, Council Tickets Vie for Votes
The race is on. Yesterday morning, at 12:01 a.m., the campaign for Undergraduate Council president began in a spray of
Averell Hit with Election Violations
Following a two-hour meeting last night, the Election Commission, which oversees the Undergraduate Council's presidential elections, fined candidate B.J. Averell
Election Commission Praised for Oversight
Effective supervision on the part of the Undergraduate Council's Election Commission helped ensure that this year's race ran considerably smoother
Local 195, City to Bring Charges to Labor Board
The Massachusetts Labor Relations Commission (MLRC) will hold an informal hearing today on two prohibitive-practices complaints brought by the city
Candidates Rack Up Violations
One day before voting closes, Undergraduate Council (UC) candidates are amassing campaign violations, with one ticket more than doubling its