Illinois Gov. Explains Stance Against Death Penalty

By Melissa R. Brewster, Contributing Writer

In a speech last night in Langdell Library, Republican Gov. George Ryan of Illinois described how he became a "convert" to the anti-death penalty cause.

In front of nearly 100 people, Ryan explained why he chose to impose a death penalty moratorium in his home state. He is the first governor from either party to take such a radical step.

"It became clear to me that when it came to the death penalty, there was no justice," he said.

On Jan. 31, 2000, Ryan, who had taken office a year earlier, announced a moratorium based on the state's record of convicting innocent people.

As a state legislator, he advocated a pro-death penalty stance. He described his attitude towards criminals as: "Catch him, convict him and throw away the key."

His opinion on the matter, however, has changed dramatically.

"I wish I had known then what I know now about the death penalty. A lot has happened to shake my faith in the death penalty," Ryan said.

Ryan cited the Anthony Porter case as a paradigm of what has happened to the Illinois justice system. Porter, who has an IQ of 50, was convicted of shooting two people in a park.

Journalism students and professors from Northwestern University helped expose his innocence, and Porter was freed two days short of his execution date.

"The charges against him were wrong, and he spent 17 years on death row in terrible conditions when he was innocent," Ryan said.

A Nov. 1999 Chicago Tribune report of 300 capital punishment cases also influenced Ryan's decision. He was appalled that all white juries had convicted 35 African-American death row inmates and lawyers whose licenses were revoked represented 33 death row inmates.

Ryan's decision, especially in light of his former advocacy for capital punishment, has elicited a nation-wide response.

"My decision on the death penalty is having more of an impact than I ever imagined...I didn't believe people cared so much," he said.

Ryan admitted he had moved to the political center and away from the Republican right since he was elected as governor.

"I've picked up groups I never thought I would, like the Gay and Lesbians Against the Death Penalty. These weren't my kinds of groups before, but they're giving me awards now. I think I've ruined my conservative base!" he exclaimed.

But Ryan said these strange political bedfellows do not bother him because he remains convinced of his beliefs.

"To win an election is to make a solid contract with the people. It means I will put aside political expediency and do what I think is right," he said.

In March 2000, Ryan established a committee of lawyers and professionals to examine the success of the moratorium.

One of its more prominent members is attorney Scott Turow, a Harvard Law School graduate renowned for his legal novels. The committee will eventually report its findings and issue recommendations.

"Our only hope is to find the truth and nothing but the truth. Nobody will die in Illinois unless he is sure of his or her guilty," Ryan said.

The panel opened for audience questions, and Ryan was asked about his dialogues with Texas Gov. George W. Bush on the subject.

"I can't tell George Bush or any other governor how to run their state. I would resent it if he did it to me," he said.