"V" SPOT: Prestifilippo Takes Consolation in Beanpot

BOSTON--I think I may have wrote this same introduction last year, but staring out into a barren Fleet Center, I was feeling rather--yellow.

The genius that designed the Fleet Center decided that all the seats should be painted that color, and from the bird's eye view of the press box, I saw it in all its canary brilliance.

Because the simple truth is nobody really cares about the Beanpot consolation game. If the whole tournament is a battle for Boston bragging rights, then this game is a Battle for the Boston Basement (or the right to stay out of it) with a suitably sized crowd to match.

But senior goaltender J.R. Prestifilippo didn't care. Entering the game, he was 0-for-his career in the Beanpot, and he gave his darndest to erase that blemish on his record.

And for once, Prestifilippo's effort was enough. Harvard crawled out of Boston with a 3-1 victory over Northeastern.

"I think we were very fortunate to come away with a win," Harvard Coach Mark Mazzoleni said. "The difference in the game was [Prestifilippo]."

The Crimson defense--or lack thereof--certainly made "Presto" earn it. After just slightly outchancing the Crimson in the first period, the Huskies poured on the shots in the second. Northeastern outshot Harvard 19-2 in the middle period, and for once a shot total accurately reflected the relative play.

With just over two minutes left in the period, Husky center Roger Holeczy lifted a backhander in the slot on a rebound, which Prestifilippo waffled away--after stopping two previous shots.

Recommended Articles

Huskies Maul Icewomen in Beanpot, 7-1
Per prior arrangement with the gods of women's ice hockey, Northeastern University captured the Ninth Annual Women's Beanpot last night
Baseball Squares Off Against Northeastern
Less than one week after its 7-1 shellacking of Northeastern in the Beanpot consolation match, the Harvard baseball team gets
The "V" Spot
PROVIDENCE, R.I.--The Harvard men's hockey team celebrated the dawning of the Mark Mazzoleni era by scoring exactly one goal. And
The "V" Spot: Beanpot Blues
For both No. 3 Boston University and the Harvard men's hockey team, the Beanpot Tournament has become very familiar. Overall
867-5309: Presto Misses Final Trick
BOSTON--As the Harvard men's hockey team enters the home stretch of its 1999-2000 season, senior netminder J.R. Prestifilippo has earned
Prestifilippo Shines in Beanpot Consolation Win
BOSTON--The Harvard men's hockey team didn't deserve to win, but with spectacular goaltending the team managed not to lose and