Boston Area Housing Boom Leaves Out Affordable Options

A recent study conducted by Harvard's Joint Center for Housing Studies and the Brookings Institution named metropolitan Boston a "hot market" for housing construction.

"People who live in and around Boston know that the real estate market is booming," says Alexander von Hoffman, a senior research fellow at the Joint Center for Housing Studies and the author of the report.

"Boston is doing very well, as are its surrounding neighborhoods," he says.

Others are not so sure.

Some non-profit groups have faulted the study for not differentiating between luxury and low-income housing and have challenged its optimistic tone.

They charge the housing boom has only served the wealthy and has contributed to the affordable housing crunch and gentrification in Cambridge and surrounding areas.

"We're not doing nearly enough for moderate or low-income buyers or renters," says Harvard Vice President of Government, Community and Public Affairs Paul S. Grogan, who spearheaded the University's initiative to provide $20 million in loans to create affordable housing in Cambridge and Boston.

Gordon N. Gottsche, executive director of Just A Start, a non-profit community development corporation based in Cambridge, says the report does not address the key issue of affordability.

Recommended Articles

Hear Ye, Hear Ye
To Quad or not to Quad--that was the question. Days of anticipation, speculation and turmoil finally came to an abrupt
City Council Notepad: Marjorie Decker
Marjorie C. Decker grew up in public housing in Cambridgeport, where her parents still live. Now, the newly elected 27-year-old
Rep. Barrios Gets Results In Brief House Term
" Barrios means neighborhood." In the summer of '98, that constituent-oriented campaign slogan for Jarrett T. Barrios '90 was chanted,
Menino Orders Additional Affordable Housing
In hopes of solving what he has called "a crisis in housing," Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino announced Monday that
Industrial History, Popular Schools Forge the Modern-Day Patchwork of Cambridgeport
In the densely residential south Cambridge neighborhood of Cambridgeport, dwellings that show a half-century of wear stand next to recently
Dilemma on Walker Street
On the corner of tree-lined Walker and Shepard Streets, a stone's throw from the grassy Radcliffe quad, sit the buildings